Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need advice on Mock scrapes. >

Need advice on Mock scrapes.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need advice on Mock scrapes.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need advice on Mock scrapes.

Never used them before. I moved to the midwest from Texas and it seems like a useful tactic since the buck to ratio is really good and low compared to 30 does to 5 bucks in Texas. What best way to go about it during Oct. before the rut hits? Should I wait around mid to late Oct. When the bucks are sparing a little bit and begining to break out of there bachelor groups?
Old 09-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find scrapes from last year in travel corridors or field edges that have licking branches above,the communal ones which many Bucks use are the best and most revisited. Use a limb to break up the soil and then use what ever product you prefer. In less than a week several had been visited by what I think are Bucks in their core areas. I was told it's something you can do now and it must be true because they are visiting them already. Good Hunting

Last edited by doetrain; 09-20-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldnt wait. I think you could literally use a mock scrape year round.Mid summer is when I get mine going. This time of year a good tactic I use is to take over a scrape if there is one in the area your hunting. I wont promote a scent because I think most urin will work. Im seeing scrapes all over. I like to use them on the outside borders of a bucks area. An inside corner with a fence line seems to be a great spot. Just make sure you got a licking branch overhead and scent it up too.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Fork Horn

Okay I appreciate it. So buck or doe urine will work? Thanks again
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get them started early and take hardcore scent precautions when making them. I don't waste money on store bought urine. I use my own and have never had a problem!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned, you can begin your mock scrapes now. In fact, it's been my experience that from now until around Oct 20 is THE best time for mock scrapes here in Illinois. My trail cams repeatedly have proven this over the last 10 years for me.

I've also done some pretty interesting tests on scents in scrapes and their effectiveness. My results have found that some scents are more effective than others. I find it iteresting that human urine has actually got more hits than scents like Tink's everytime I used them. The most effective scent I've EVER seen in scrapes has been the hard to find James Valley Scents Gels. Their Scrape Gel and Wall Hanger Gels consistently get more "hits" from more bucks than anything I've tried over the last decade.

The keys to mock scrapes is knowing that they need to be hunted a lot earlier in the season than most people think. My trail cam photos back this up, by the time most folks start thinking about scrapes..... the best part of scrape hunting is done!