Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead Suggestions >

Broadhead Suggestions

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Suggestions

Old 09-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone ever use the Trophy ridge (rockymoutain) rockets?

Its just a 3 blade fixed but looks super little in diameter. The tip looks great for penetration though. I have been using G5 Striker the last few season and have not lost a animal yet but they do not fly like my field points. Thought about these trophy ridge 3 blade that are like 29 $ for 3 which is cheap. My brother bought me some grim reapers has anyone ever use thosed and liked them? It come with a practice tip like the 2 blade rage so i figured I might try it.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Fork Horn

Magnus Stinger 100 gr all the way

Last edited by BRUSE; 09-20-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by llpaintball
thanks guys.. my draw weight is 55 lbs. and my arrows are gold tip hunter xp. sorry im new to bow huntin
My draw weight is the same as yours,I use Beamon 340 tiped with Grim Reaper 100g. Mechanicals. Every deer I have shot so far has been found and consumed,they do knock them down if the shot is reasonably good. I had a bad shot last year but the broadhead did good damage and the blood trail was good enough for a rookie like myself to track the deer and harvest it.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hoyt21
Its just a 3 blade fixed but looks super little in diameter. The tip looks great for penetration though. I have been using G5 Striker the last few season and have not lost a animal yet but they do not fly like my field points. Thought about these trophy ridge 3 blade that are like 29 $ for 3 which is cheap. My brother bought me some grim reapers has anyone ever use thosed and liked them? It come with a practice tip like the 2 blade rage so i figured I might try it.
I have had good success with the 100g. Grim Reapers with a 55lb. draw weight and an older Matthews FX Bow. They came out with a larger cut version this year but I think the smaller cut version works fine so I'm sticking with them.If you have a higher draw weight and a newer bow the larger cut I'm sure will work well and cause greater damage. I have had pass throughs every time on a Buck and 2 Does even at 30 yards on the biggest Doe. I'm starting my 3rd. seasons this year and have full cofidence in these broadheads up to this point,so I say give them a try because they do fly like a field point and are a good product.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Bigbulls, what about the 40 KE rage broadheads designed for lighter weight bows?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Shooting a 55 pound bow you would be a fool to use a Rage or any other large cut mechanical broadhead. These broadheads require gobs of energy to smash and cut through bones and you aren't gonna have it.

You really need a moderate to smaller diameter fixed blade broadhead. Slick trick standard cut, Magnus stinger, NAP nitron, G5 montec, Shuttle T-lock, NAP hellrazor, Muzzy phantom MX, Wasp BOSS bullet would all be excellent choices.
yes it is, but just proof that they will, my friend shot a deer this weekend, 50 lb draw weight pass through with the rage. and i myself (before i new anything about bow hunting) i have got a double lung with a rage on my 40lb bow. i dont reccomend it though. go with the 40 ke rage
Old 09-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

In my experience, things that are absolutely required to function properly should have a design that is as simple and reliable as possible. This is one of the reasons why Glock has been so successful.

This is also the reason that I use fixed blade broadheads. Muzzy makes a fixed blade that has been field proven for decades, and you can get 6 of them for less than the price of 3 mechanical broadheads.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
You really need a moderate to smaller diameter fixed blade broadhead. Slick trick standard cut, Magnus stinger, NAP nitron, G5 montec, Shuttle T-lock, NAP hellrazor, Muzzy phantom MX, Wasp BOSS bullet would all be excellent choices.
^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Last edited by Jeffro_17; 09-20-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

yes it is, but just proof that they will, my friend shot a deer this weekend, 50 lb draw weight pass through with the rage. and i myself (before i new anything about bow hunting) i have got a double lung with a rage on my 40lb bow. i dont reccomend it though. go with the 40 ke rage
I'm not saying that it can't work when everything works out just right but the odds are with a low poundage set up you are going to be disappointed sooner or later.... sooner would be my bet.

Bigbulls, what about the 40 KE rage broadheads designed for lighter weight bows?
I gave some very good recommendations for you to use but of you are dead set on using a Rage then yes the smaller diameter of the 40KE would be the better choice. Still wouldn't be high on my list though. I just don't understand the reasoning of trying to complicate the one piece of equipment of the total set up that should be the simplest, most rugged, and fool proof you could get.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

I understand, and thanks for the advice guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.