Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you do?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Nice pic CR.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Spike

It was stated earlier, but check laws against hunter harassment. Here in IL if you call out the conservation police they will be obliged to help. The evidence of stolen stuff and confronting people about hunting on pre-approved property is more than enough here.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

This makes me so glad I have my own property and have good landowners bordering me. Sorry for your problems. I have had problems in the past hunting on my cousins property and dealing with idiots who think they have the right to hunt wherever they please. That problem is long gone now. Sometimes you just have to move on to greener pastures. Good luck with your problem. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mohunter82
like they have said.
Calmly bring your problems to the landowner. even if you decide not to hunt it anymore you may want to come back at a later date and dont burn a bridge you might need to cross again.
if he sayd he doesnt want to do anything dont get mad and storm off it is his land and while we may not agree with his decision, respect goes a long way.

has the guy ever said why he does these things or is it one of the because i can guys?
The landowner isn't the problem as much as it is the neighbor. I agree, the landowner can make any decisions he wants with his land and I will respect it.

The neighbor on the other hand is just a rude, deceitful man that loves to ruin everyone else's hunting. No one person who has permission on this ground has more rights than others. He just likes to see how much he can control and get away with I think.

I've decided I'm going to stay away from that parcel for a while for my sake and the landowners. I don't need the added stress and neither does the landowner...and there shouldn't be any contact between us and the neighbor. Better for all parties, and we all still have a place to hunt.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Ill say this. You are a better man than I am. I couldn't just walk away from this. I can't stand people that try and bully others around. I would have confronted the neighbor a long time ago and informed him of all the stealing and mention that I have a good idea who it is...just wouldn't mention him directly. Then I would talk to the land owner and inform him of all the shananagans thats happening on his land. Any land owner worth his salt wouldn't tollerate it. I know for a fact that I dont on my land. An earlier post mentioned trying to catch the guy in the act. To me it's worth it. I would put up a new stand and make some noise doing it. Then i'd sneak out after dark and see what I could see. If i caught him Id turn him in to the authorities immediately. There are laws against hunter harrassment and of course against larceny. Though I may be a little bit more ornery then most...maybe because I work in law enforcement. Just don't like bad guys I guess. I put up with too much crap at work all week long to have to put up with crap when I am trying to relax and hunt. I would assume that you are of the same mind set. Good luck with it. Gunna be a long road i fear.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

The deer in his avatar was killed on land 20 miles from the land he is talking about. Walking away is the right choice. The hard part for them is this is land that he has hunted with permission his entire life and now it is not worth the hassle. I have been there when **** has hit the fan and he is calmer than I am. Some people are just ass holes. CR will kill another big one this year and I hate him for it.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

Talk to the Landowner. Be respectful and tell him what a blessing it is to have the oppertunity to hunt the land is. It will end up the way god wants it Good luck
Old 09-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MISwampDog
Ill say this. You are a better man than I am. I couldn't just walk away from this. I can't stand people that try and bully others around. I would have confronted the neighbor a long time ago and informed him of all the stealing and mention that I have a good idea who it is...just wouldn't mention him directly. I would assume that you are of the same mind set. Good luck with it. Gunna be a long road i fear.
Actually my dad and I were together two years ago during our first "confrontation" with the guy. After some not so pleasant words, and us straight up asking if he's the guilty party, we contacted the landowner. He clearly didn't want to get in the middle of it and asked that we stay on one side and the neighbor stay on the other.

I've been around long enough, that I'll not be pushed around on property I have a right to be on, but if it's not my land the only thing I can do is adhere to the owners wishes. I'll try again someday to hunt there, but for now I do not have the time to be screwing around with that neighbor. I've got deer to kill.