Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you do?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Question What do you do?

I'm at a loss. I hunt private ground (for 12 years now, my dad for 30+) that is owned by a farmer that lets just about anyone hunt. There are a few small plots of ground within a couple square miles of each other. One in particular, until about ten years ago, my dad hunted for twenty years, then we started having issues. His hoist rope was cut, and a pile of human crap & t-shirt (used to wipe) was left at the base of his stand. He quit hunting this plot (about 50 acres) after that, plus the increased number of hunters didn't help. Deer were just not using it like they used to. Since then, we have hunted the property bordering it, which is separated by a large creek, and has much stricter hunting rules. This land can only be hunted by us and is almost landlocked. Still in the last ten years have lost two ladders and a stand. All issues were along this creek.

Until two years ago, we gave the 50 acre plot a rest. I was onto a good buck using this ground, and finally decided to set a stand in there, praying nothing would happen. On Halloween night, I stuck a nice 130 class buck. Grunted and rattled him into 27 yards. Misjudged the distance, shot low, not hitting anything vital and never finding him. (The good news a week later another hunter saw the buck just about 1/2 mile away still alive!)

While we were tracking this deer, a neighbor from just down the road came down to confront my dad and I about hunting this woods. When he did, you can imagine our reaction, "how dare you confront us?" He knew we hunted it with permission, and the longevity in which we'd hunted it in the past. Yes this guy "says" he hunts, but I've never seen him deer hunt, just turkey. We also never found a stand on the property. Anyway, after a long argument on the side of the road, out of respect for the landowner, we told him we'd stay out and let it cool off for a couple years being sure not to cause too much drama.

Well just this year two young guys (18 & 22) just received permission from the landowner to hunt the same 50 acre plot. In one week their camera was stolen. I warned them about the jerk neighbor trying to control that land and the trouble we'd had along that area in the past. They assured me they had talked to him, told him where they would be hanging stands, and he gave them the impression he was fine with them hunting it. The neighbor waited until this morning (opening morning for the county's early archery), to walk up to their stand at 8 a.m. to ask them to leave, totally screwing up their hunt. Not only they, they went through all the work of hanging stands and scouting.

I wasn't crazy about them being able to hunt the property, but it isn't my land, so I accepted it. They seem like good "kids." (I'm not much older) I feel bad for them, but I warned them it could happen. Now it just chaps my a## about how this guy handled the situation. What do you do? I want to hunt it again eventually, but I don't have time to argue with a guys who thinks he owns his entire road. The landowner doesn't like when hunters don't get along, so I want to be careful we don't all lose our rights.

I'm sure he's also the thief in the area. Funny how things don't go wrong or missing until someone moves in next door and constantly being a conniving jerk to people.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

If the neighbor down the road is going on to property he doesn't own (50 acre plot you have permission to hunt along with the other two), then talk to the landowner about it. Feel him out on what he thinks about this neighbor. Be honest about the problems you have had and the problems this neighbor has created for the people who have permission to hunt. If the land owner doesn't want to do anything about it then you are better off finding a new place to hunt. At least that what I did in a similar situation - landowner, once he gave his permission told us "well he's my neighbor and I don't want any trouble between us because of hunting..."
Old 09-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by *twodogs*
If the neighbor down the road is going on to property he doesn't own (50 acre plot you have permission to hunt along with the other two), then talk to the landowner about it. Feel him out on what he thinks about this neighbor. Be honest about the problems you have had and the problems this neighbor has created for the people who have permission to hunt. If the land owner doesn't want to do anything about it then you are better off finding a new place to hunt. At least that what I did in a similar situation - landowner, once he gave his permission told us "well he's my neighbor and I don't want any trouble between us because of hunting..."
Thanks, yeah that may have to happen. I thought too about approaching the landowner with a lease contract and a dollar sign for full written rights. Hope it pans out. I grew up hunting the area and would hate to completely lose it. But it happens I know.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Spike

I actually have a neighbor where i hunt that is very simular except he doesnt steal things. I still havent figured out how to deal with him, i just try to ignore him, but it can be so frustrating when he intentionally interrupts hunts or trys to block my trails. if i was you i would try to catch the guy trespassing, put IR camera up where he cannot reach it, or spend more time watching for him. whatever you do i wouldnt let him get away with it
Old 09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah dude, move on...sounds like yer crap will just get stolen anyways, and if the land owner wont back you, yer screwed.
efff em and hoof it.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys! Looks likes sh*t hit the fan over the weekend and I'm developing a lease contract to offer up to the landowner. Hopefully he accepts it!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Also, most states have laws against Hunter Harassment. Basically it is illegal to intentionally interrupt or disturb someone who is lawfully hunting.

As long as the landowner is on your side and okays it, get your local game wardens involved.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeremy3303
Also, most states have laws against Hunter Harassment. Basically it is illegal to intentionally interrupt or disturb someone who is lawfully hunting.

As long as the landowner is on your side and okays it, get your local game wardens involved.
with this law ya dont need the landowner to back you.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is the area so good that it's worth all the problems your having? I have some similar situations at one of my spots and even though I still hunt it I tend to hunt it when certains tresspassers and a man who's property is next to it aren't around. They steal anything left so I use only my climbing stand there leave no cameras in the area they are in. For me your situation is one I would avoid unless I had no place else to hunt,it's a shame that something as enjoyable as hunting has to have so much trouble in it.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

like they have said.
Calmly bring your problems to the landowner. even if you decide not to hunt it anymore you may want to come back at a later date and dont burn a bridge you might need to cross again.
if he sayd he doesnt want to do anything dont get mad and storm off it is his land and while we may not agree with his decision, respect goes a long way.

has the guy ever said why he does these things or is it one of the because i can guys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.