HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Logging Roads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/349765-logging-roads.html)

penninside08 09-14-2011 07:39 PM

Logging Roads

Has anyone ever archery hunted a logging road?...if so have you ever had success and what are some tips that you guys have?

Deepsouthdeerjunky 09-14-2011 09:21 PM

Depends on what type of area they are in. What kind of area are they in? is it thin, cut stuff around them or is it an old logging road surrounded by mature trees and veg?

TeamWiscoUNIT61 09-14-2011 09:26 PM

there are probably quite a few factors that play into your question. What type of environment is around it, what do you mean exactly by logging 'road', deer population in general? We are having some logging done on our property currently (yea, they still havent finished and its almost the opener! grrr weather setbacks) and there will be fresh deer tracks literally hours after the loggers are out for the day. Deer are curious by nature. Now, is this what you mean by logging road? im guessing not, but in our case this is in the middle of woods/cover/food so...deer are around. makes for great opportunities to set up catching them cross over heading to food/water etc. My opinion, if there is a reason for the deer to be around there, setup on the edge and catch them traveling.

penninside08 09-15-2011 09:33 AM

the area that i am talking about is on private property...it is in the middle of the woods with a few ponds around about a 1/4 away. The logging road is older and it is surrounded by semi thick-semi open woods. There are a pretty good amount of oak trees that always produce a good amount of acorns and the logging road starts near an apple orchard and leads the whole way up to the top of the ridge. Overall it is about a mile long logging road. Once again this is private property so there is nobody else around but me and the rest of my hunting group (my 2 brothers).

Terasec 09-15-2011 10:26 AM

i have 50 acres with logging roads through out,
deer will use the logging roads,
but doesnt mean they use only the logging roads,
lots of factors on which part they will use or not use,
road surrounded by dense heavy brush they will probably use the road for easy travel,
surrounded by light brush, i notice they tend to stick to the woods over the roads,
logging roads need to be scouted and examined just like anything else you come across in the woods

reds10ss 09-15-2011 06:04 PM

I hunt in the hill country of ohio..logging roads are common where i hunt at..one of my fav stands is on a logging road..ive had good success..killed multiple deer off my stands. i always look for deer trails that run parrell with the loggging road..got alot of scrapes and rubs along the roads too.

Bernie P. 09-16-2011 06:17 AM

Generally deer in my area don't spend much time on them simply because they're exposed and they know it.

Bible_Man 09-16-2011 10:10 AM

If your apple trees are still bearing, set up 50-75 yards from them close to that logging road (20 yards off of it maybe)...deer love apples. I have had success right on logging roads for does, as they are generally easier for them to walk. However, the bucks usually stay a bit off of them. This is just my experience.