Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Fixed blades hit high.. should I switch to mechanicals? >

Fixed blades hit high.. should I switch to mechanicals?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fixed blades hit high.. should I switch to mechanicals?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fixed blades hit high.. should I switch to mechanicals?

Well Ive got my bow all set up.. Season just opened, figured Ide let some broad heads fly.. umm... they shoot way high compaired to field tips. Last season on my bear charge with wb, my mx3's shot just like field points. Now this year with a hoyt rampage xt, qad drop away, shooting 58# draw, I believe my new speed has changed things... I have this bow shooting great out to 50 yards, groups great at 20/30/40/50 with field points, even did a walk back tuning check. No rub marks on my felt on the rest. My arrows are spined right also. (easton epic n fused carbon 29" 400) So I screw on the mx3's and Im shooting 12" high on average at 20yrds. Went out grabbed some slick trick 4 blades, little lower but still high. Is there any other changes I should make....? Ide like a bow that I can practice with field points in the yard, and shoot broad heads for hunting without readjusting my entire sight. Is a mechanical broad head the answer? Lemme know, any info or recommendations- thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just learn to adjust your bow and broadheads and field points will fly the same...

Sounds like you should either drop your rest a tad or raise the nock a touch...Nothing major...

No need to switch to mechanicals, it's not the broadheads fault.....
Old 09-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, just broad head tune your bow. A fixed head wants to guide the arrow form the front like the fletching does in the back. Your arrow is coming out high in the front.

There is no reason you cant get good flight with fixed heads. Too many people take the lazy way out rather than fix the problem.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

What they said...
Old 09-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

a little different is almost a given, 12"'s is way way too much. You definetly have an issue that needs attention. You could site it in to hit where your pins pointing but I think you'd have some real issues in between pin shots.

I'd first off pic one arrow and shoot it, start dialing heads and points in. Get them closer, moving the rest for starters making them no more than 2"'s different then walk back tune with the broadhead. Stand close and hit dead center high enough on the target that as you walk back the impact can travel down the target, but not to high as you'll probably shoot over the target before it drops until things get dialed in. As you shoot farther and father away from the target always using the same pin the arrow should drop plumb down from the dead on shot (Make them good until your sure you did). If they drop straight down, that's good. If they make major drops, 6"'s or more at every 10 yards back, that's not so good, your arrow is coming off pointing down and the BH shows it. I believe you have the exact opposite going on now. If they drop down at an angel they are coming off sideways and a left or right adjustment needs done.

There are other reasons but, I'd bet that is it. FOC, too much FOC can make the head dive, to little can make it float causing the nock to drop, I don't think that's your case because most arrows sold today all come ready to shoot, not saying they can't be improved, just saying they can be shot with most heads sold without to much trouble.

For fun stand about 20 yards away and shot at the center of the target the step up to 7 yards and shoot with the same pin. Make sure you have something behind the target, I'm thinking it's going right over the target. I set my bow up to make both those shots with the same pin, just a tad low at 20 yards, but low is better in my book.

If anyone already knows this stuff keep in mind someone else may search for the same answer and find this question, they might not know what's been posted here. It seems like were having private conversations, but we're not, this is the world wide web. We're like sending a message into space for anyone to here.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Nodog, thanks for the advice, I got into the easton arrow tuning guide.. Did some field point paper tuning first, used thin news paper.. dont do this, it dosent pattern well. Switched to packing paper, and the tears were more consistant and obovious. I was having a low nocking point issue. I cant move my d loop so... I lowered my rest that was pretty close to the rubber coated shelf.. moved about 1mm... alot better, acceptable paper tune in my eyes. Switched back to broad heads from about 10yrd, shooting alot better, I got some slick tricks from my shop, hope it would fix this .. no... shooting them side by side with muzzy mx-3 the st worked better. some times I would have a mx3 go crazy, they like to follow any thing for any reason it seems. Moved my rest maybe a full 1/16" total downward. And broad heads and FP's shooting pretty tight. I destoryed two of my new ST's as they grouped that well shots one and two hit. Im guessing my tuning for now is over, I will test more at further distances. As of now... 10/20 yrds Im hitting what I aim at with fp (hit quarters at 20 with fp's) Broad heads.. prolly group.. 1-2" apart. Should I tweak further? Im cutting the adjustment lines (1/16") into almost 4 segments. I think I have it dialed down as good as it gets for a fixed blade, but still need to tweak my sights.. and shoot distance.. I walked back tuned with FP in the past.. before this vertical adjusment.. I have no left/right issues.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Little update, played around some more today, didnt make any rest adjustments, looks like dropping it down a very small amount helped. Made an entire sight adjustment (moved it down about 3/16") and my field points are back on the pins, and broad heads at 20 and 30 yards group in a base ball sized (fixed blade slick trick 4 blades) The muzzy mx-3 still suck.. I get whip up on them, they fly erattic. Im blaming the broad head. Slick trick 4 blades do none of this, even shooting some dammaged ones (as they group so tight I messed up two of my new broadheads).. I also got some mechanicals today, 2 blade rage broadheads. The overall design looks pretty decent. The practice head shoots like a field point, at 30 yards I can hit a plum sized target.... Hope Im set up... Hunting tomorrow evening with the mechanicals, and one undammaged slick trick haha
Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

its not the broadhead
Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

spin test each broadhead/arrow, may also have an issue there as well.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

get you bow tuned, or if you don't want to then re- sight in with just your broadheads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.