Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Treestand shooting >

Treestand shooting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand shooting

Old 09-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

This is a good post, push it to the top. Range finders are coming down in price, I got the newer chuck adams busnell the other day for 160. Ranged stuff out to 535 yards, and as close at 7 yards. Its 4x good for archery. But in low light or under tree canopy I can hardly read the #'s.. They have too much going on at the bottom and its blurry. I returned it. Choices are limited, the nikon archers choice only gos 100 yrds, I wanted to be able to range for rifle a little... I might go with the prostaff 550. I aimed the chuck adams into the deepest ditch near my house ... 30deg angle, around 50 yrds, said to shoot only a yard or two less or more.. cant remember. I wish there was somthing in the 150 - 200 dollar range that would do both within reason and still be a good price/ quality. (both nikon and bushnell = made in china)
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Spike

Mission17, I see what you are saying and it makes a lot of sense to me
Old 09-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

At ~15' up a tree shooting at 20 yards, my arrow tends to hit the target ~2" high. You guys are talking about the trig required to determine the distance, but gravity also has some affect. The steeper the angle your shooting, the less impact gravity has on your arrow. When shooting parallel to the ground, your arrow travels in an arc on its way to the target. Most people are confused when they hit a branch that wasn't in their sight path...its because of the arrows arc path.

Gravity only affects your arrows path during its horizontal travel. Most bows are sighted in from the ground. If your shooting straight down at the ground from your stand, gravity cannot affect the arrows flight. Therfore it will not arc...it will fly straight until impact. The distance you should aim (since gravity is involved) is the horizontal distance to your target (or from the base of your tree). Please go to the following link which better explains this. http://www.kingsmountainarchers.org/...gle-shots.html
Old 09-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Spike

HardwoodHunter, you're pretty high up in that tree. If you were thinking 15' that would be 5 yds. and the H distance would only be 20.6 yds. At 40 yds., the H distance would be 40.3 yds.

And though Mr. Adams is pretty good, I think that should be +/- 1 yd. at 800 yds., not +/- 1 inch, halfbakedi420, but your earlier post was spot on. There is no substitute for practicing from the stand.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by olfatguy
HardwoodHunter, you're pretty high up in that tree. If you were thinking 15' that would be 5 yds. and the H distance would only be 20.6 yds. At 40 yds., the H distance would be 40.3 yds.

And though Mr. Adams is pretty good, I think that should be +/- 1 yd. at 800 yds., not +/- 1 inch, halfbakedi420, but your earlier post was spot on. There is no substitute for practicing from the stand.
it is 1 degree..not an inch.