Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What bow for a starter 7 yr old boy?? >

What bow for a starter 7 yr old boy??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What bow for a starter 7 yr old boy??

Old 09-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

So went and purchased the Diamond youth bow today at cabelas. Got the little man shooting it at about 14lbs. Prob is I'm having a heck of a time getting the sites anywhere close. However, not sure if he is completely correct on what he's suppose to be doing. What is the best way to start out getting the sites at least close. Should I be having him shoot at like 10 yrds to start out? or closer???
Old 09-11-2011, 06:16 AM
Spike

Mission Craze.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

check out the mission menace or craze. great draw weight and draw length range and super easy to adjust. no need to replace limbs for heavier draw weights. bought my 9 year old the menace in spring, great little bow.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Spike

I would try to get a bow with a ajustable cam. This way, has he grows, you can adjust the draw leanth.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Spike

I would try to get a bow with a ajustable cam. This way, has he grows, you can adjust the draw leanth.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:36 AM
Fork Horn

bought the nuclear ice for my 7yr old last christmas...he hasn't shot past 8yds yet for the same reason...all over the target....Keep explaining to them how to look at the sight and just be patient!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

mission craze
Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Spike

can't go wrong with a parker or PSE starting out. that's what i did. good luck!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser
I'm looking at bows on Cabelas website and am liking the looks of the Bear Apprentice bow. This will be for my 7, soon to be 8yr old son and its adjustable from 20-50lbs. We don't have a cabelas real close and am not sure if he will be able to pull 20lbs or not? The other option is a Diamond that goes from 10-30lbs. I'm just liking the thot of being able to have him shoot the Bear up to 50lbs. Any advice or other suggestions?? Also he is showing to be a lefty but am thinking of just buying a right handed and getting him started on that? Thank you
Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser
So went and purchased the Diamond youth bow today at cabelas. Got the little man shooting it at about 14lbs.
Please, please, PLEASE tell me you bought him the correct bow for his eye dominance and didn't just buy a righty and are trying to make him use it. If your son were right-handed, would you just buy a left-handed bow and make him start on that? If he is a true lefty (left eye dominant), making him shoot right-handed is a recipe for frustrating him and does him an injustice. He should shoot a left-handed bow. If he is right-eye dominant, then a right-handed bow is what he should be shooting. My 11y.o. is right-handed, but left-eye dominant. He shoots a left-handed Mission Menace because of that. My 10y.o. son is right-eye dominant, so he shoots a right-handed Razor Edge.

You don't mention whether you bought the Nuclear Ice or the Razor Edge. The Razor Edge is the one that is adjustable from 15-29lbs or 30-60lbs with the heavier limbs. The Nuclear Ice is 10 - 29lbs.

Prob is I'm having a heck of a time getting the sites anywhere close. However, not sure if he is completely correct on what he's suppose to be doing. What is the best way to start out getting the sites at least close. Should I be having him shoot at like 10 yrds to start out? or closer???
You should be his coach on what he's supposed to be doing, so you tell us if he's doing it right. How is his stance? Locked front elbow or relaxed? Gripping the bow tight or open hand? Consistent anchor point or anchoring all over the place?

He should start at 5yds, not 10yds. It will be easier to hit the target (boost his confidence).

Originally Posted by densfbs
This is a perfect bow. I love how it is adjustable to their growing without having to purchase another bow
The Nuclear Ice is strictly a kiddie bow, as it only goes up to 29lbs and 24" draw length. You are thinking of the Razor Edge.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks alot for all the input. The bow I got is the one you can send in like $50 and they will send new limbs for it. As far as which eye of his is dominant I gotta be honest I have no idea. I'm a big golfer and I gotta say his first set of clubs will be right handed as well. Main reason being is they are much easier to get and I can teach him a lot easier as I am right handed. Might not be the best thing to do but we'll see.
As for stance and what not it looks ok. I guess just not sure what to expect from a 7 yr old ya know?? The one thing he has hard time with is consistant achor point but thats just something you can only tell them and they will have to figure it out.
Prob is at 5 or 10 yrds I cant get the sights low enough. the pins are all the way down and i cant move the whole site down much more or the fletching hits it when arrow is released. Have already lost 3 arrows in the grass. Thinking of putting him down in the basement and puttin an old mattress behind the target.
Any other thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks again,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.