Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What bow for a starter 7 yr old boy?? >

What bow for a starter 7 yr old boy??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What bow for a starter 7 yr old boy??

Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default What bow for a starter 7 yr old boy??

I'm looking at bows on Cabelas website and am liking the looks of the Bear Apprentice bow. This will be for my 7, soon to be 8yr old son and its adjustable from 20-50lbs. We don't have a cabelas real close and am not sure if he will be able to pull 20lbs or not? The other option is a Diamond that goes from 10-30lbs. I'm just liking the thot of being able to have him shoot the Bear up to 50lbs. Any advice or other suggestions?? Also he is showing to be a lefty but am thinking of just buying a right handed and getting him started on that? Thank you
Old 09-07-2011, 03:14 AM
Typical Buck

I bought my boy a 20-30 lb PSE bow when he was 7 and finally at 9 he can pull it back. I made a mistake and should of bought him a cheap lil bow with a 15lb pull or less to start but he's on track now. I'm making him learn instinctive first and when he's mastered that I'll move him up to rest, sights, and maybe even a release.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

a good lil $50 one at dicks sporting goods, its a 10-20 lb pull, comes with everything needed.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

I just bought my little girl (6 yrs old) a little brave 3. She can pull it back and LOVES shooting with daddy (and I love it too!!!!). It comes with one pin, a rest, two arrows and a quiver (45.00 at wal-mart). She wears a little pink glove on her shooting hand instead of using the tab that comes with it. This will last for a couple of years.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

My son is 8 and we went with the Diamond bow. The smaller one is from 15-30 lbs and the the other is from 31-60 lbs. He is pulling 35 lbs now and shooting good. If you have to go with the smaller bow you can upgrade for like $50 or something. My nephew has the smaller one and he is left handed, they are nice kids bows. Alot of the women at the bow shop are shooting them too.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

I was wondering about the Diamond bow you mention above. I guess I didn't realize it can be upgraded to add some poundage?? That might have just sold me on it. I don't mind spending up to $200 for a nice starter bow that I know he can use for 5-6 yrs or so. Thanks alot for everyones thots and advice! much appreciated
Old 09-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Spike

the PSE Mini is fantastic for a child his age, i just bought my 7 yr old one and he loves it!

Adjusts from 20-29lbs of draw weight and is the perfect size, definitely check one out.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Diamond nuclear ice
Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

I just bought a Diamond Outlaw and the manual that comes with it mentions upgrading the Razor Edge and Edge models to higher weight limbs for $84.99. I'm in the same boat. Going to get a bow for my just turned 7 year old next summer when he's nearly 8. For now, though, he loves shooting instictively with his Bear Scout which cost me $30 last year. I have a treestand set up 5 feet off the ground and he shoots down at my Glendel buck and loves it. The guys at the pro shop gave me the good advice of buying el cheapo right away if he never shot a bow before and give him a couple of years of trying that out before spending a couple of hundred bucks. No sense in buying what's not needed right now. That said, if he likes archery and wants to keep doing it, it's a great investment.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rangerboy
Diamond nuclear ice

This is a perfect bow. I love how it is adjustable to their growing without having to purchase another bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.