Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What bow for a starter 7 yr old boy?? >

What bow for a starter 7 yr old boy??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What bow for a starter 7 yr old boy??

Old 09-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser
Thanks alot for all the input. The bow I got is the one you can send in like $50 and they will send new limbs for it. As far as which eye of his is dominant I gotta be honest I have no idea.
OK, sounds like you bought him the Razor Edge. Good bow. My 10y.o. has one.

As for his eye dominance, you should have figured that out before you bought the bow. Check it now, and you might be able to exchange the bow at Cabela's if you bought the wrong one, provided there isn't too much wear on it already. If he's left-handed, my money is on him being left eye dominant. If he's right handed, then who knows (I have one son who is right-handed with left-eye dominance, and one who is completely right-sided).

Prob is at 5 or 10 yrds I cant get the sights low enough. the pins are all the way down and i cant move the whole site down much more or the fletching hits it when arrow is released. Have already lost 3 arrows in the grass.
lowering the pin will raise the impact point of the arrow. Are you saying that the arrows are hitting in front of the target? When I was setting my 20yd pin, I was hitting too high and had to raise the top pin in order to lower my group. It was completely at the top and I was still shooting high until I adjusted my anchor point and lowered my peep sight.

A full-body picture of your son drawing the bow back will help to assess any issues in form that may be causing this -- a picture similar to this (my right-handed, left-eye dominant son):

I hate to say it, but this is why it is better to buy from a pro shop than a box store like Cabela's/Bass Pro/Gander/etc. I love Cabela's, but they aren't a pro shop and rarely have the knowledgeable staff on duty to properly set up a bow and teach a child the basic stance, sight picture, and shooting technique. A pro shop would have checked eye dominance, checked draw length, and worked with y'all to set it up correctly for him and had him hitting paper at 5-10yds before you left the store.