Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Too Early for Scents??? >

Too Early for Scents???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too Early for Scents???

Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Spike

Default Too Early for Scents???

October first marks the beginning of the IL archery deer season, and I will be hunting from the ground without a blind. I plan on using a drag rag with Harmon's Triple Heat(an estrous scent). Is it too early for an estrous scent or will deer still be attracted? Thanks!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

IMO, it is WAY too early to use any scents... try to position your early season stands along trails and corridors that are actively being used to travel to early season food sources, this will be your best bet to see and get a chance to harvest an early season deer.

I only use estrous scents and other scents, when I know for sure that the does in the area have begun to estrus.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't go with estrous until at least the third week in Oct. I would use the buck and doe "preorbital" and I would use buck and doe "interdigital". These scents clearly work as shown on some of my trail cam pics. The interdigital works best at active scrapes because the bucks think someone else is intruding on their territory.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Way to early. I dont start using that until around the last week of October. Try the curiosity scent from Real Scent. I have also had really good success using the young buck scent. They make some really awesome deer lures. You can actually check their website out under the sponsor page on my website. www.foxfireoutdoors.net
Old 09-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Before the rut I use a drag rag with some plain buck urine for a cover scent.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't use it yet. It will be more natural a month later and could set a deer on high alert encountering it before it is expected.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

if i were you i'd just not worry about the scents quite yet. Find an acorn ridge or field and sit on that. OR in the heat find a water hole.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Spike

As far as attracting scents yes it is too early. Cover scents however are fine to use all year, fox urine, coon urine, vanilla extract etc.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Spike

You want to use a cover scent like deer dander deer attractent..ive had much luck with this
Old 09-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess you'll find out. Round my little world no noise and no scents are a must. I plan on killing as big buck as ever never making either. I'll find out too.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.