Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Outdoor Channel? >

Outdoor Channel?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Outdoor Channel?

Old 09-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too old and too long ago

Can't even save any new money. Cancelled cable tv over 25 years ago.
Back then someone called TV the vast wasteland. Must be still making some wasteland shows.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Spike

don't get me wrong, If I had the chance, I,ll would love to have the perfect hunting paradise. I'm very fortunate to hunt on the farm that I got permission to hunt. I do got some nice bucks on the trail cam. and I do pass on button and spike bucks. So maybe thats know differant then what the celebs on tv do, just on a diferant level.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ricwild
For me, I had to teach myself to hunt, I was 35 yrs old. No one in my family hunted. So I started from scratch. I thought that what I saw on these shows was the way it was kinda going to be. Boy was I surprised. After alot of trial and error. and surfin this web site, reading books, watchin vids, talkin to guys shopin in the huntin section at wal-mart etc. I,m proud to say I have two does under my belt. one with a shotgun, the other with a compond bow. Don't get me wrong, I do see bucks when im in the feild. but around where I hunt, if you pass on a desent buck, the guy huntin on the farm next to you won't.
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I started when I was about 16, hunting only public land. I thought I should be seeing huge bucks like I saw in magazines at the time, when in reality not many of them were killed in the area I hunted. Any deer a person is happy with is a trophy in my mind. It's a time issue with me now, and point restrictions have helped our bucks mature, but any legal buck that gets close enough to me often gets an arrow through him. And I'm tickled to death to take him home.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
I probably wouldn't cancel the channel but I agree with you that some of the shows definately portray hunting in a very unrealistic way. And I definately WOULD NOT miss Tiffany. She is one reason I might cancel. Get's on my nerves.

Blessings.......Pastorjim
+2, I like Melissa Bachman
Old 09-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

You got to watch shows on the outdoor channel with a grain of salt, as long as you watch the shows with the understanding it's under perfect conditions and people with big wallets that can buy or lease huge properties to keep the animals fed with products that beef cattle farms use to put weight on their cows and then protected from getting harvested at a younger age. You could shoot deer of that quality. But those shows have changed the way we hunt, what we hunt with, and quality of products we use.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Spike

I don't know if I will ever cancel it, that's my only saving glory on the television.. Most of the time the lady is watching cooking shows or something about dancing, almost to the point where it drives me insane. A small glimpse at the buck at a lifetime will suffice, even if they do pass on it... it gets me away from dancing with the stars lol
Old 09-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Spike

I dont mind watching the huge bucks being taken on the outdoor channel because I keep reality in check. What I am watching is T.V. I dont hunt to kill huge bucks like on T.V. I hunt to fill my personal goals in the woods... #1 meat in the freezer and #2 a descent buck for my area. Its the thrill of the hunt for me, not the bragging rights of killing the state record. Dont get me wrong though that would be nice
Old 09-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Spike

If i have time to sit down and watch a hunting show then I have time to do something hunting related. Everything from scouting to cleaning a gun, shooting a bow, gettn in the woods, checking stands, shining and the list goes on and on. Thats what i would rather do with my time.

Last edited by jddeadeye; 09-07-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought the Outdoor Channel would be worth all the money and other useless channels I had to accept to get it with Insight Cable here in my area but it was'nt, so I got rid of it. After watching most of the hunting shows It got old real quick. The story lines and hunting seemed pretty much the same only different hunters and sponsers thats about it. It useually wen't like this. The Stars show up looking like they just walked out of Bass Pro in all new gear,They get fed at the Outfitters Lodge,They get up are driven to the stand or blind,They shoot a big Buck,They go back and eat again show off the Buck and 15 commercials later the next show comes on and we repeat the process with different people and maybe a different animal. Now some of the Stars are more interesting than others and they seem like really great guys and gals but even that can't keep me watching some of them very long if they don't show more than bang or twang dead deer and thats what hunting is all about? This is why I now prefer to by DVD's that show more than the kill and more actual hunting with and without success which we all know is the norm.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

I'll keep paying the $3 a month. The shows aren't perfect but they're entertaining. Sure its not reality for most of us. Sure they only shoot freak bucks most of the time. But that's often fun to watch. It's like those guys who write in to Field and Stream all pufffed up because they review expensive guns and hunting gear. You sell a lot more magazines talking about custom engraved, blued bird guns than my Remington 870 and I enjoy reading about them, even if I'll never likely buy one. Same applies to bucks. I'm happy to get a shot at a nice buck at home and maybe someday I'll tag a monster but I like seeing them taken on the shows for now. Also, I like how people bash Ted for hunting on high fenced ranches. How many if they had the money wouldn't purchase their own high fenced place and stock it with some whitetails, exotics and so on. Sounds like legal, good fun to me. Regardless of any big debate on ethics or what a true hunter is. He's having a blast and having fun arrowing forkhorns while some on these other shows are passing on 4-5 year old bucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.