Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How far would you shoot? >

How far would you shoot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far would you shoot?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If conditions are perfect, I can feel confident taking a shot out to 40 yards. That said, MOST of the time, I limit myself to 30 yds or less because there is so much that can go wrong when you're vastly more excited than you are shooting at a stationary target in your back yard. That apparently relaxed deer can easily turn, or take s small step forward just as you release the arrow and your "confident longer shot" will suddenly become a nightmare when you have a gut shot deer to attempt to recover. Everything has to go perfectly for that long shot to pay off, and the chances of something going wrong go up exponentionally as the range increases.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

prefer under 30yds but will reach out to about 40-45yds or further if he is big enough. if its a doe i will wait her out or get closer next time. but thats just me, and i dont mind sitting and watching a few deer til i take a shot
Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Spike

40 yds is pretty much going to be max for me this year... I've learned my lesson trying to shoot any further than that in a hunting situation.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
As many have mentioned, being an excellent shot out to 60, 70, 80 yards really doesn't have much to do with shooting a real flesh and blood animal. As someone mentioned, the target animal can easily take a step or two that could prove disasterous. I feel confident in shooting at a relaxed animal out to 50 but after that, quaility shots become a LOT more difficult!

However, regardless, bowhunting for me has ALWAYS been and will ALWAYS continue to be a close-range, in-your-face, sport!

I was watching bow madness last night on the outdoor channel, and one guy took a 50 yard shot at a whitetail. The deer not only moved, it turned 90 degrees and was facing directly at the hunter at the moment the arrow struck. It was so bad, they didn't show a replay like they usually do. If the deer had turned in the opposite direction, he would have hit him directly in the butt.

They ended up recovering the deer the next day. From the looks of things, it was after 12 noon when they found it.

Last edited by Stonewall308; 09-09-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

I would have to say 35 to 40yds is max. To much could go wrong after that..
Old 09-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

50ish yards
Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

40 yard max..can shoot further but not as comfortable
Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

Question How far???

Where I hunt, I can't see more than 60 yards. I can't get an arrow thru without hitting something up to about 40-50 yards. I will only attempt a shot from 30 and under. Thats just my self imposed rule. I'm happy with it, and I tag out every year.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

First deer I eve took was with crossbow at 35 yds. That would be my max I think. I usually take them at less than 15 because of the way my stands are set up and the way the woods are around here. At 10-15 yds, they don't get much chance to jump the string.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Spike

30 yards tops for me. Practise everyday up to 50 yards but wouldn't think about shooting that distance at an animal. To much chance of wind drift or deer jumping the string.