Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Still Hunting With A Bow >

Still Hunting With A Bow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Still Hunting With A Bow

Old 08-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Still Hunting With A Bow

Every time I see a hunter take a Mule Deer, Whitetail,Elk or some other game with a Bow on the ground I think "Now that is the most challenging hunting there is." My first Deer ever was on the ground at close range with my Bow and I enjoyed the thrill of that like nothing else. How many of you have harvested a Whitetail while still hunting on the ground with no blind? And do you hunt often like this or is it a rare thing for you to hunt on the ground with a Bow? Do any of you hunt only from the ground and if so how successful have you been at it? Thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

I took a mature 5 1/2 yo buck last year from the ground... Theres a thread somewhere about it...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowh...-read-pic.html
Old 08-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

I always spot and stalk. I hate sitting in a tree. I have always seen more deer walking then sitting in a tree. Both hunting and scouting.

One year I had a nice six point 20yrds from me, he was snorting and stomping the ground. I started to get concerned he was going to charge me, but he finally got spooked enough and ran. We had a stare down for 5 minutes. Man, that gets the blood flowing.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

My first bow killed deer was the same scenario! I walked right up on him and made a 15Yd. chipshot! I frequently take to my feet while bowhunting, especially when it's raining/snowing. If they won't show themselves, then I'll take the show to them!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are some of you guys just talking about walking through the woods hoping to run into a deer (still hunting) or actually spot & stalk, where the animal is spotted, a plan is developed and then the stalk begins.... in true western spot & stalk tradition. There is a BIG difference between the two. I hear folks each season get the two types of hunts seriously confused. LOL!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Are some of you guys just talking about walking through the woods hoping to run into a deer (still hunting) or actually spot & stalk, where the animal is spotted, a plan is developed and then the stalk begins.... in true western spot & stalk tradition. There is a BIG difference between the two. I hear folks each season get the two types of hunts seriously confused. LOL!
Agreed. The deer I took last year was totally unintentional in the aspect of finding him...
Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Most people still hunt by walking 10-30 yards pretty slowly and then stopping for a few minutes, then repeat.

I prefer sitting in a tree stand in a good location. Everytime I still hunt I have the feeling that the deer are crossing my trail behind me. Although two of the last times I was at my hunt club I was within bow range of a deer while I was on the ground - it just wasn't hunting season.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

havent had the luc of bagging a deer on the ground yet, but the last 2 years , i have had deer as close as 15 ft, what a rush !!!!!!!!!!several times , i hunt from a tee pop up , my main problem is getting the shot off when i move the curtain i get busted , been thinkin about puttin some mesh on this year; ive seen more deer bow season lately , from that blind than i can count, just looking forward for that is a rush , they get so close i can read made in usa on the bumper!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

it depends, it can be a spot and stalk if i see the deer first. lol like last year a saw a doe at 60 yards and closed the distance to 20 with out her knowing just for practice. but i do like ground hunting mostly still hunting. its hard to do spot and stalk in PA woods but it can be done. my first buck was taken while still hunting. i made him stand up from his bed and smack, only went 20 yards. I feel like still hunting or spot and stalk with a bow is buy far the most challenging way of taking any game animal. especially elk where you have to close the distance by hundred of yards sometimes.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Spike

Definitely plan on doing more still hunting this year... Have a huge plot of corn fields with surrounding oaks. Going to try still hunting around the perimeter and seeing what i can come up with....

So I'll update you soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.