Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New trend?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default New trend?

Am I the only one who is noticing a new trend in Hunting Shows on Versus and Sportsmans Channel when it comes to shooting more "average" deer?

I know that some shows are still really picky about shooting deer that are 150" or more, but I am seeing more and more TV personalities that are shooting deer that look like they just break P&Y or are just underneath it...

With that, I am seeing and hearing more talk about taking deer that makes the hunter happy, and the thrill of the hunt... Could TV finally be adapting to the everyday hunter, who doesn't want to see Boone and Crockett monsters taking dirt naps every minute of every show?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

I agree. I have also noticed more doe hunting episodes as well. They always try to talk about the excitment of the hunt and heard managment but most of these guys on tv don't look to excited to be shooting does. They have more of a ho-hum attitude about it. Buck or doe I am always excited when I take a deer. Granted bucks do add alittle more but a doe is great too!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, I have noticed this also.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

yep i have seen that also..
Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

There ain't nothing wrong with taking a doe, but I hunt for meat not trophy's.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

I feel like there are more shows trying to do it "the right way" more or less than in the past when they would go into the fenced in environments to harvest the deer that were so large... I know there was a big thread a while back about deer shows that were hunting fenced in properties, and im sure there are some that still do, but i think that more often than not these guys and gals are doin it the right way, they may be goin of to some of these super outfitters that do most of the scouting for you but im also noticing a lot more shows ending with a hunter not taking a deer at all simply because it didnt pan out.. and i think THAT is what its all about. The ups and downs of the chase is what makes hunting exciting and it seems that more and more shows are catching on to this... Good thread
Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

heck yeah i agree, they r almost real time now
Old 08-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

I think hunters as a whole get a little more enjoyment in seeing bucks taken by "professionals" look more like the bucks that they can see on their properties... It disallows the mentality that "they are shooting monster bucks that I will never see"
Old 08-31-2011, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

That's what I always liked about Roger Raglin. He stressed taking the deer you considered a trophy. The rest be danged!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think what you're seeing is not the "TV personalities" shooting lesser Bucks. What you're seeing is the fact that every swingin' johnson around is getting a "show" and many of these guys really don't have experience and expertise in hunting so I don't think they have much of a choice other than to shoot 2 1/2 year old Bucks instead of waiting for a quality animal.

Another thing to look at is the fact that these shows WILL NOT and DO NOT last. Although some here may say they like seeing "average"...... it's realy isn't what the masses and sponsors want to see. People want to watch and learn from folks that feel are experts at what they do.... not folks that just shoot and film the same boring deer that everybody else can shoot ?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.