HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   advice on whisker biscuit rest? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/348876-advice-whisker-biscuit-rest.html)

TURKEY FAN 08-28-2011 10:15 PM

advice on whisker biscuit rest?

I shoot a drop away now and hate it! Was thinking of installing a whisker biscuit? I shoot 4" vanes with helical with a true fire t-1 100gr broadhead. Any suggestions?

sdhunter11 08-29-2011 04:15 AM

I shot the whisker biscuit when i first started in archery about 6 years ago, it was a good rest out to about 30 yrds, after that my groups started to spread out. I switched to the qad ultra rest and problem was solved. What i liked about the whisker buiscuit was that it kept the arrow trapped at all times and i get the same benefit with the ultra rest, the ultra rest has a bar above the rest and you simply flip the rest up in the lock position and the arrow cant leave the rest no matter if you turn your bow upside down, I have no idea why you dont like your drop away but this is the reason most dont.

huntingkidPA 08-29-2011 05:08 AM

i cant speak for drop aways because i have never shot one, but my groups dont open up much at all at 30 yards because of using a wisker biscuit... you can't beat the simplicity and nothing can go wrong with it in the field

wmdbowhunter 08-29-2011 06:08 AM

The whisker biscuit is a great hunting rest, simple and nothing to go wrong, just make sure that you align your vanes to clear the black section of the whiskers. which would put the odd vane up.

Wheatley 08-29-2011 06:47 AM

I loved my WB. I got a drop away as a gift so I switched to it but I miss my WB. I shot it accurately out to 80 yards and didn't have a problem with blazer vanes.

solobowhunter 08-29-2011 07:17 AM

Have always used my WB since they hit the market. Love it for hunting. The only suggestion I have is change your vanes to shorter ones such as blazers. I used to use 4 inchers but they got ate up a lot quicker than my blazers. Havent heard from anyone who didnt like the WB after they bought one. Think you would like it

Bible_Man 08-29-2011 08:02 AM

I like my WB. I have no noticeable drop in accuracy when compared to a drop away rest. The only noticeable difference was that the WB shoots a few (2-5) fps slower...I can live with that all day long. I shoot blazer vanes...was using 4" vanes, but get better consistency out of the blazers...go figure.

TURKEY FAN 08-29-2011 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bible_Man (Post 3839979)
I like my WB. I have no noticeable drop in accuracy when compared to a drop away rest. The only noticeable difference was that the WB shoots a few (2-5) fps slower...I can live with that all day long. I shoot blazer vanes...was using 4" vanes, but get better consistency out of the blazers...go figure.

I shoot a fixed blade head. Can I shoot that type of head with blazer vanes?

doetrain 08-30-2011 06:47 AM

I use a WB with shorter vanes the quick fletch type and it works great for me. My longest kill shot has been 30 yards with perfect accuracy,like has been said nothing to go wrong with the WB setup. If you get this set up make sure the WB is the right size for your arrows,they have small medium and large.

solobowhunter 08-30-2011 09:21 AM

As doetrain said, I use blazers with my fixed montec g5 broadhead and works great for me.

Howler 08-30-2011 10:12 AM

As has been said, probably should switch to blazer vanes if ya go to the WB. The longer 4" fletchings seem to want to get wavey over time.
I shoot the Magus Snuffer SS broadheads and I don't have any problem with accuracy out to 60 yards.

Boogeyman24 08-30-2011 10:41 AM

I've used a WB for quite a while now - doesn't seem to be any problems regardless of the broadhead. You will lose a few fps, but well worth it imo - not loud, arrow always stays in place, etc. For hunting I really like the fact that you can let your draw down knowing the arrow will stay perfectly in place, which wasn't the case with the dropaways I tried at the shop.

Bible_Man 08-30-2011 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by TURKEY FAN (Post 3840238)
I shoot a fixed blade head. Can I shoot that type of head with blazer vanes?

Yep...makes no difference what type of head you use. I shoot Muzzy 125 gr 3 blades. Shoot quite well when I do my part.

TURKEY FAN 08-30-2011 08:02 PM

Ok great! Ill give it a go...thanks for the advice gentleman.

wilk 08-31-2011 05:30 AM

octane

i used a whisker bisquit then i switched to the octane hostage pro and love it, it doesnt beat up the fletchings, i also went to 2" blazers...

louie6014 09-02-2011 11:20 AM

I had the wb on my bear charge, worked great and very accurate. Then I swapped it all onto my hoyt.. my groups were not the same... And I had accuracy at distance issues. I just switched to a QAD drop away. Thing is retarded accurate, compaired to my wb. Its contained so arrow wont fall out. And its one of the few that flip down and dont bounce up. I really think your rest depends on the bow, arrows, speed, and practice level. WB good, QAD drop away good. (price not so good)

onion721 09-02-2011 01:12 PM

Yeah don't cheap out on vanes, they'll tear off in a hurry.
I use dura vanes, haven't had one tear off yet.

And my groups don't open up either, I practice out to 50yds.

nodog 09-03-2011 09:07 AM

WB's are noisy, pron to problems in the weather and abrasive to arrows. Used one once, if I did again it would be in a specific situation set up on a bow for that purpose. I wouldn't shoot it a lot.

They depend on being abrasive to each vane equally, something happens to one and things will happen. They do hold an arrow in place.