Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Poundage question >

Poundage question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poundage question

Old 08-27-2011, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Poundage question

What is the average pounds you guys and girls have set on your bows? Does accuracy improve with higher pounds? Any info will help

Thanks
Croc
Old 08-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

My bow is set at 66lbs, can go up to 70 but at 66 is easier and smoother to draw. The shock of the bow being shot is less also at this poundage. Built a string stopper for it and makes it even better on the shock when shot.

As far as accuracy, I would imagine that with the bow being smoother on draw not holding so much back that it can help you hold steady easier. Just have your bow tuned correctly and set it where its comfortable for you.

other than that just practice practice practice.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Spike

A bow is smoothest when the shooter can control the shot. Many people make the mistake of going as high as they can on the poundage. But if you are at 70lbs and it is difficult for you to draw during practice, you'll have a heck of a time during a hunt.

Remember you're sitting still for hours on end so your muscles are relaxed and then you have to immediately pull the bow back, silently mind you, and sometimes hold it for a great deal of time.

Always go with lower poundage and work your way to higher if you want too... Never start the other way around.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

when i was 12 i shot 40lb, i am now 15 and i have worked my way up to 70. its all about you own preference and what you can do.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

I have a 60-70# bow set at 60#,
My next bow I will probably get one at 55#.
First rounds are no problem at 60 or 70#'s,
During practice I can get I can get +30 shots off at 60# before I start getting shaky, at 70# that drops to less than 20 shots before I sense I am straing.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Accuracy does not improve. . .

with higher draw weights. It only becomes more difficult, as the archer strains his gears, to make the shot. Of course, it makes you more popular with orthopedic surgeons, who are well trained to do shoulder operations.
With practice, a 60 pound draw, today with modern bows, are more than adequate for a white tail deer. For some, even with less.
In Africa with archery, you might want a companion with a real big gun, protecting your carcass.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

I am currently drawing 64 lbs. I can go to 70 but want to my poundage at a very comfortable weight. I used to always set my bows at their maximum weight. With today's bows there is little need to pull 70 lbs. I also have an advantage with 31" draw length so speed is easy for me to acheive! I am actually shooting a very heavy arrow (11.3 grains per in, 30" long) with a 100 grain broadhead. Total weight of the arrow is 463 grains. I shot through a chronograph and I am right around 300 fps. I am real happy with this setup! I don't see a problem with good penetration on whitetails what so ever! This also helps keep bow noise to a minimum.
Truth of the matter is to find a weight that is comfortable to you! Being able to shoot the bow well is the #1 desired outcome. If you are comfortable at drawing 60#'s then go with it. I never noticed a difference in accuracy in my bow at 70# to 65#, only difference is in the comfort level once at full draw. If you are overly excerting yourself drawing your bow, you will not be able to hold on the target for a long period or without shaking.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Spike

64 pounds now. Years ago I was at 75 with an overdraw to get the flat trajectory. My bow now is 10 years old and is fine with the lower weight so the new bows are probably even better.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

I used to pull back 80# with my old Havoctec, with my new Z7 its at 70#.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

i shoot 63 lbs and 29 1/2" draw out of my switchback xt and have had no problem taking deer and antelope with it. I could see shooting a heavier draw weight for flatter trajectory but since most whitetails are taken under 30yrds then i dont see a reason to raise my weight imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.