Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Poundage question >

Poundage question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poundage question

Old 08-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have no clue what others shoot at so how would I know an average? Does accuracy improve? sure if yardage is your guide. If your crappy at telling yardage a flatter tragectory would certainly improve things.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Spike

shot 74 lbs. back in the day with a golden eagle superhawk and later, a xi magnum.
after shoulder surgery a few years ago, i dropped down to 60 lbs. on my bowtech admiral, and i'm shooting better than ever.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Spike

I shoot 60 LBS. I could crank up bow for more but why? I would rather be able to hold draw longer on a deer than get tired and have to let down. I think your accuracy would actually improve with less draw weight due to less struggles holding your draw. JMO
Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Spike

My Magnatec is set at 67 pounds with my 31" draw it is as high as I will ever need it.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by croc2116
Does accuracy improve with higher pounds?
Most certainly NOT. In fact, far to many folks are over-bowed these days and you see it at the Shops and 3D shoots all season.... guys struggling to draw their bows back and/or "sky-drawing", having to raise their bows over the heads and pull down to get them back.

A persons draw weight should be based on what YOU, the individual, can draw back straight and smoothly!

One trend that I've been pleased about seeing over the last few seasons has been that the "average" bowhunter is backing down his draw weight and decreasing their draw length as well.

Top shots are NEVER strainging or over-bowed! A shooter MUST be as confortable and relaxed as possible for consistency!