Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

target backstop

Old 08-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default target backstop

does anyone have plans for a target backstop? i live in a residential area and have a limited area to shoot but won't do so without a backstop that will stop any arrows that missed their mark.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Spike

i shoot into my garage with the target up against an old cabinet that came with my house, works well for me, but i cannot do any raised shooting like this
Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

a fridge or stove box filled with foam board works well....or not missing the target
Old 08-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Nim
Spike

Default back stop

Try hanging some old carpet behind the target a couple layers.

Nim
Old 08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Try shooting from a 12 foot step ladder. If that doesn't work for you, use your wife's clothes dryer. It works well and if you do miss, tell her to save money and use a clothesline.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

what about a couple of bails of straw. I use two T-post and 3 bails stacked one upon the other with the T-post suporting on the back side. I use a piece of wood to hold my target. does a good job at catching the wayward arrow.

Hope this helps

CVG Ohio
Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

There is a mesh you can buy that you hang up behind your target. I have been told its pretty expensive but will do what you need and probably cheaper for peace of mind and can be a good way of showing others if they were to complain about you shooting in your backyard in a residential area.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

OSB board. A lot of residential area's of Ohio do not allow shooting a bow. Don't miss, keep it on the down and low. I wouldn't trust starw to do much more than slow it down.

I doubt some old appliances littering up your yard will fly either with the local zoning. Typical Michibilly idea. just kidding.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

lol thanks guys, and i dont plan on missing, seeing as i can only shoot about 20 yards and i'm proficient out to 60.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

A couple blankets hanging behind the target will work too with field points. My bow will put an arrow thru 2 bails of hay easy. Clothes, blankets & carpet do pretty good at arrow stopping. I stuff grass seed bags with old clothes for targets & they will stop anything. Broadheads get tangled up though.