Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neck shots?

Old 08-08-2003, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Neck shots?

I have neck shot one deer, with a 30-30!!! She dropped like a ton of lead bricks, I will never take another neck shot on a deer with a gun, and I sure would not take one with a bow, as others have said there are more things that can go wrong with a neck shot than can go right.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:25 AM

Quit trying to reinvent the best place to hit a deer. You generally need two vitals on each shot to guarantee a quick kill. 2 lungs, a lung and a heart, a lung and a liver. Notice I keep saying lung. In fact, go for two...they are big and vital.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:49 AM

I don' t care if it is a 1 inch broadhead or 4 inch broadhead...You OWE it to the deer to make an ethical - quick - clean kill. The neck shot is a very low percentage shot - as you have read on other posts about the deer that have gotten away. I willing to bet that the deer didn' t recover either.

Any shot that is questionable should NOT be taken.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:25 AM

Ethics has nothing to do with it. Its not a proper shot. You owe it to the deer to make it a quick and clean death and the neck is not the place.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Not even fond of this shot with gun let alone bow.To much area of just plain muscle and most people are not even familiar with a deers pulminary system to even know where main arteries actually are,and they are a small target at best .If it' s to dark to see clearly it' s far to dark to shoot your bow at a living creature[:@]
Old 08-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would NEVER condone necks shots with a GUN, much less with a bow! As far as I am concerned, the only bow shot is a double lung broadside shot!
Neck shots are just asking for wounded, suffering and lost deer! It is just plain unethical, to put it mildly, and it is disrespectful of a fine game animal!
Old 08-08-2003, 11:06 AM

I have never even thought of taken that shot - ever.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nub, good repsonse.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:05 PM

Who comes up with this stuff.[&:]

Legacy, I wouldn' t do that. Not only is the neck a very small narrow target, but a double lung will kill an animal just as fast or faster and leave a better and shorter blood trail. Think about it.

With the neck, there is the vertibraes and about a 3 inch or less area under it with many blood vessels and veins and the jugular and wind pipe. The deer will probably move it' s head too when you shoot.

With the vital shot, there is a spine as well as an 10 inch area under it with lungs and heart and liver. Don' t go aiming for the spine. Always aim for the center of the vital area.

Why shoot for a 3 inch target that' s swinging around when you can shoot for a 10 inch target that' s much more stationary.

Neck shots can very greatly. Sometimes they are fatal very quickly, other times it takes along time for the animal to bleed to death and many times the animal will survive the wound. Heck, we cut pig' s throats when we hunt with dog and knife and it will actually take 30 second to a minute for the pig to loose enough blood to pass out. But if you stab the pig in the heart lung area, it takes 3 to 6 seconds for it to collaps. So the lungs are allways gonna be the best place to shoot for.

A blood trail is very easy to follow at night with a flashlight. It' s actually easier than in the day cause the blood has somewhat of a reflection shining off of it. So there really is no need to drop an animal in it' s tracks.

If it were low light, you probably wouldn' t be able to make the neck out anyway. Just let the animal go if it' s too dark. You' ll feel better about it. You might not be able to aim in low light anyway. Remember legal shooting hours?

I' m telling you, shoot for both lungs or nothing and you will have the best results. A double lung or heart shot is the most efficient and fastest way to put down an animal and also offers the largest target with the best blood trail. It can' t get any better than that!

And if you hit the spine and parralize and animal, it will be screeming and crying and you will either have to shoot it again or go down and stab it cause spine shots are not lethal by themselves and the animal might still have it' s front legs to drag it' s self off with.

I have hit an animal one time in the neck by accident. Luckily, it went down in seconds just like a lung shot would have done. But I know of a few other times where my friends hit the neck and they never found the animal. Each time, the blood trail wasn' t that great and died out with no animal found.

Good luck to ya
Old 08-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would aim for a double lung shot but by if i was off on my aim, i would hope it be in the neck but only if it was almost instant death or if any suffereing, at least within a few mins.

Quick Reply: Neck shots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.