Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow suggestions

Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Spike

Default bow suggestions

I have been out of bow hunting for a couple of years now but I'm looking to get back into it. I'm trying to figure out what bow to purchase. I'm looking for a cheaper used bow but I want one that is still of good quality to hunt elk and deer. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

This year bowtech came out with the Assasin and Heartbreaker. Both very quality bows very smooth draw, solid back wall, and decent speed. Both bow are machined aluminum, come as a package deal with sight, rest, quiver, stabilizer, and wrist sling. Hoyt also has the Rampage and the Rampage XT, And the only difference between these bows are the XT has the new Fuel cam by Hoyt and the regular Rampage has the M4 cam. Your not going to see much difference between the CRX and the rampage other than the limbs and riser. Both bow compaines make very quality bows. Go out to your local archery shop and shoot them and make your decision based on what you like.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously there are hundreds of different bows on the market today and the popularity of any bow model or brand seems to be a regional thing and what your area Dealers and Shops are pushing.

That being said, there are a few stand out bows for quality and affordability this season. Now, I mentioned affordability because if money isn't a concern the top of the line models from mmost lines will run around $1,000. Top offerings from Hoyt, BowTech, Mathews, PSE.... all will be a little cashy. Best advice would be to formulate a budget and what you canspend and head to some Shops and shoot as many as you can..... I promise a few will stand out in your hands and the perfect fit for YOU. However, if that kind of money is a bit hard to swallow to get back into the Sport than the mentioned BowTech Assassian is a HUGE seller. It's priced about HALF of the bows mentioned above and it's a quality rig with an excellent draw, rock solid back wall, lightweight and well balanced and respectably fast arrow speed. It would be a good place to start.

Remember though, keep an open mind and don't let someone talk you into a bow because it's what they have or its the only brand they sell. I can't stress enough how important it is to find one that feels right to YOU.

Good luck and good shootin' and welcome back to the sport!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Spike

Check out the Bear line of bows. They have stepped up to the plate the last couple of years, and they're quite affordable. They're not just a " box store " bow anymore!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

ebay, the classifieds here and at archerytalk,...you can get a good deal on a complete package,...just need to figure out your price range, good luck,..welcome back to archery
Old 08-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Spike

I was planning on buying one from ebay because of the good deals, just gotta figure out which one. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Actually, the Rampage XT has the same limbs and cams as the CRX.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

Yea Ide double the looking on craigslist thing, I saw a bear on there near me the other day prolly had 600 in it, two years old, newer model, for 300 bucks. steal
Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

bowsite is another good place to look for bows, my father just picked up a year old z7 left hand for 500 dollars, not too shabby.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I purchased my Bowtech used from ArcheryTalk for a great deal a few years ago. For me used is the way to go. The companies always come out with a new model so no matter what I am going to be behind unless I want to spend thousands of dollars just to keep up with what is new. My 05' Bowtech Allegiance is a great bow for the money. You can find bowtech bows from 07-09 at great deals now!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.