HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   My first bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/347773-my-first-bow.html)

not the dogs 08-06-2011 03:07 PM

My first bow

Well I have finally decided to try bow hunting. I can't wait but I may have waited to late to find a bow. I finally found a Matthews solo cam that was left handed , 50 lb draw, with 27 and a half draw length. I paid $275 for it. It is ten years old but hopefully I got a reasonable deal. Does anyone hunt with one this old? The season comes in here Sept. 10 so I only have a month to practice. How long does it take to get comfortable enough to head on to the stand. I know that its probably different for everyone, but how long did it take you? I've only drawn 30 arrows at the place that I bought it and didn't do to bad, but I want to know without a doubt that I'm ready. And I also know that 30 arrows isn't near enough practice. I plan to practice at least 5 days a week. Also any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

houndsman12 08-06-2011 03:41 PM

Ok frist, you are going to love bow hunting its the best! i would shoot 24/7 if i could, but i do like to find a way to shoot atleast once a day. After you figer everthing out, sighting in arrows etc... Shoot as much a possably 5days a week is plenty cause well pratice makes perfect but you only have one month i would start out with feildtips but not for long, as soon as you start to get comfortably with shooting start with broad- heads first find some you like then try like 2or3 and your favorite one start useing full time I use 100gr thunderheads and love them they fly good and will open up anything, defendtly my favorite! well anyway good luck this year wish you the best of luck!

tcicon 08-06-2011 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by houndsman12 (Post 3831157)
Ok frist, you are going to love bow hunting its the best! i would shoot 24/7 if i could, but i do like to find a way to shoot atleast once a day. After you figer everthing out, sighting in arrows etc... Shoot as much a possably 5days a week is plenty cause well pratice makes perfect but you only have one month i would start out with feildtips but not for long, as soon as you start to get comfortably with shooting start with broad- heads first find some you like then try like 2or3 and your favorite one start useing full time I use 100gr thunderheads and love them they fly good and will open up anything, defendtly my favorite! well anyway good luck this year wish you the best of luck!

Sounds like a solid plan to go by, but beware of fatigue. Shoot several shots, stop on a good note, then take a break. When you get tired your form begins to suffer. Good luck and shoot straight!!!

not the dogs 08-07-2011 07:43 AM

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Right now I'm shooting within a 12 inch radius. I sure do hope that things improve or I'll have to sit this one out lol. There is so much to learn but I'm having a great time learning it. Good luck to everyone this season.

crazyhorse613 08-07-2011 08:43 AM

Welcome to the bowhunting community man! I love bow hunting, I find it alot more fun than rifle (more challenging and gotta get closer to the game). Ive been using my same martin bow for about 15 years. As long as you feel comfortable with the bow you have and take care of it, you can use whatever bow you like. If you get the chance i would say experiment with different arrow weights and releases, find the one that you feel the most comfortable with. It look me a while to find the right arrow for me but when you do you will know it. As you already know im sure all different arrows and arrow weights all react differently so find the one that best suites you and your bow and stick with it. Once again welcome and good luck!

not the dogs 08-07-2011 09:21 AM

Thanks crazyhorse613. Since practicing so far I have a whole new respect for bow hunters. It is real challenging for me and I'm loving it. So far my shotgun or rifle practicing has never been this much fun. I still love them both but this is a whole new ball game. I have heard some people talk down on bow hunting saying that it wounds to many animals that is not recovered. I have never been one of those people. I think that no matter what you choose to hunt with as long as its legal, you are safe, and you practice and can make a clean shot, then go for it. I can't wait till everything is right and I get my chance to draw on my first big buck with my new bow.

IL-Cornfed 08-08-2011 08:10 AM

You have certainly taken up a challenge and the fact that you hurried to buy a bow that probably isn't even remotely close to properly fitting you may seriously complicate matters. You could be in for some very frustrating shooting. My best advice is that you MUST seek out advice from an experienced bowhunter and preferably a Pro Shop in your area. These Shops are extremely valuable for properly fitting equipment and making sure you have the right equipment and correctly spined arrows. You need help and it's the kind that you're not going to get from an internet forum.

Good luck and good shootin'

not the dogs 08-08-2011 06:33 PM

IL-Cornfed, I'm not trying to offend you or anything like that so please don't take it that way.I guess that I should have said was, after 7 months of looking I finally found a bow that fit me. I went to one of the best pro shops in my area and they took my draw length and everything else for me. I didn't have the money for a brand new bow so I waited on one to come in used would fit me. There was one there when I first went but the draw length was a half inch to long. It made me sick because I wanted it so bad but the guy said that he didn't suggest me buying it because of that. Like I said please don't think that I'm being offensive because I not. I guess it does sound like I rushed it from what I wrote above.