Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Can you shoot g5 t3's out of a 40 lb bow >

Can you shoot g5 t3's out of a 40 lb bow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can you shoot g5 t3's out of a 40 lb bow

Old 08-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Can you shoot g5 t3's out of a 40 lb bow

Are g5 t3 expandable broadheads effective out of a 40lb bow
Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

well a lot of people are going to say no. Most mechanicals should be shot out of a 50lb or more bow imo (might not open on contact). Before i knew alot about broadheads, penetration etc. i shot my first buck with a rage 2 blade expandable with a 40 lb bow. Quartering to me, i got the one lung i could. Now that i think of it, it was a very risky shot and situation, im glad i practiced alot. I would say stick with fixed blades, they get the job done! i got complete pass throughs a couple years ago with nap hell razors which are the like the g5 montec. i say stay with fixed blades, less surface area, and if your bow it tuned right you'll get pass throughs with any fixed blade.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been bowhunting for nearly 40 years, used many different broadheads and bow combinations. I would not even consider using any mechanical head with anything less than 60#. 40# would definitely be out of the question.

There are many COC and replaceable blade heads that will get the job done Something with a narrow cut and no more than 3 blades would be my recommendation. And tune till arrow flight is as perfect as you can get it.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

A mech b-head uses/wastes to much of it's energy during blade deployment to be considered a viable option for such a low poundage rig. I'd look for a minimum of 50 ft/lbs of Kinetic Energy for any and all style of mech b-heads on deer sized game or larger.

Good luck