HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   ground blind setup (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/347666-ground-blind-setup.html)

bigmster127 08-04-2011 01:56 AM

ground blind setup

is this too early for setting up blinds? im worried about the fabrick of blind material not being able to hold up. what do you guys use for netting? i know the burlap sucks. thanks for any input. the rain just soaks in to the burlap and then adds weight and rips.

chazspot 08-04-2011 04:20 AM

The fabric should be fine depending on the quality of the blind. I have a decent blind that has been out in the elements all year albeit I had it folded up when snowstorms hit in the winter. I simply set it back up a couple months ago and it seems fine.

Now it is time to start practice shooting out of it!

PREDATE 08-04-2011 04:31 AM

I'll add to the question. I just got a blind for this year. I will use it on rainy days. Do the deer become spooked by the sound of rain hitting the fabric?

chazspot 08-04-2011 09:58 AM

If the deer are not used to seeing the ground blind then the risk is they will be wary of it when they do see it. If they are used to it being there then scenarios such as rain hitting the blind won't be an issue.

That's the advantage of setting it up in your hunting area well before you plan to hunt out it in that location. If you don't have that luxury then all is not lost. It's just not ideal.

bigmster127 08-05-2011 01:44 AM

by ground blind setup i mean, making my own blind with the netting, hunters specialties makes a more durable one, and there is burlap which i will not use. the burlap is just to heavy when it rains then it weighs alot. obviously i would use deadfall too. i dont want to use pop up blinds. im just worried about the materials not holding up with3 months to go. maybe it will be fine. have any of you used this stuff and when before season did you set it up? thanks for any info.

chazspot 08-05-2011 05:12 PM

I am referring to pop up blinds in my posts, however, these blinds stay put between now and when the first snow storms hit. I'm not worried about them holding up until snow is in the forecast.

Light snow doesn't pose much risk of damage, but I don't take any chances. I fold them up and put them back out afterwards.

s. il. hntr 08-06-2011 11:19 AM

Last year i built mine out of burlap, some may laugh at this, i strung one sheet lengthwise between 2 trees as my backdrop, the other i strung in front of me a little taller than waist high.put it out 3 weeks before the season started, got 2 deer out of it

Davoh 08-07-2011 05:02 PM

Last year I tried hunting out of a pop up ground blind, on the fly since I was hunting public land and can't leave stands in place... I think the only reason I didnt see more deer was the amount of noise made trying to brush it in... One weekend later in the season, I decided to leave it out over the weekend(rule is no longer than 72 hours), I came back to the blind two days after setting it up.... Saw deer everywhere... I think this is due primarily to it being fairly thick undergrowth in that area, and primo placement(four game trails converging under a big old white oak)...

If you don't have to take it down, the sooner you put it out the better... I'm still convinced that good old fashioned brush blind is better, if you've got the time to set it up... especially in southern climates... in October in Texas it is HOT inside that tent blind...

Having learned from that experience, I plan on setting that tent blind up on my familys private land and leaving it all season... gonna get a climbing stand for the public land.

PREDATE 08-07-2011 05:20 PM

Yeah I will set mine(tent style) up on our land about 200 Yds. from the house for a rainy day spot. I also have some netting to build a blind probably next weekend.

IL-Cornfed 08-08-2011 08:03 AM

If its a homemade blind like you're speaking of making, then I'd want to get it set-up as soon as possible. I would also opt for a heavier material like burlap and have it out this early so most of its scent would go away before the season. I don't know why burlaps weight in the rain would be a concern on a permanent blind structure ?!? Good luck on your ground assault.... isn't a treestand or a comfortable pop-up blind an option where you hunt ?!?