Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead Help!! >

Broadhead Help!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Help!!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Spike

Default Broadhead Help!!

Hey everyone! Last year was my first year bowhunting and to say I caught the fever would be an understatement. I picked up my first bow 3 weeks before season and practiced like crazy so I would be ready for season. I was blessed to have a 20 yard shot on a big 9 pointer that I got a great double lung shot on.

My Question....

I was using a fixed double blade broadhead that was not a big name brand. Obviously it did the job because he is now on my wall. However he ran about 75 yards and the blood trail was practically non excitant for the first 50 yards. I would like to get a broadhead that will do a little more damage and make it easier to track the deer. Any suggestions?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

I'm fairly new to bow hunting also. One thing I've noticed is that no matter what broadhead it is, there's always good and bad things said about it. It's weird, you can shoot a deer and it will only leave pin drops for a blood trail, then you can shoot another in the exact same spot with the same broadhead and it will look like buckets of blood the whole way. Just find a broadhead that flys good for you and stick with it. If you do your part you should see the deer go down within sight no matter what the broadhead . Muzzies are a great fixed blade for the money. Good luck!

Last edited by H.L.H; 07-19-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

ive had good luck with NAP hellrazors. they are a nice fixed blade. i shot one once and as soon i pulled the release it busted me and i ended up getting a liver shot but the hell razor left buckets of blood and he went down in 25 yards. I also used rage 2 blade. they leave a nice blood trail (im currently looking for new broadheads too). but you cant always depend on a blood trail because sometimes there barely is one! after you shoot a deer watch it go as far as you can so you have some idea of which way it went if you cant pick up the blood trail.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Spike

the debate, the suggestions could go on and on.. find a different broadhead that will fly true with your bow.. and give it a shot.

BUT, I am going to suggest Slick Trick Mags
Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzy MX-3
Old 07-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

BUT, I am going to suggest Slick Trick Mags
I am going to be using these this year!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Spike

i would recommend magnus stingers or muzzy. can't go wrong with either
Old 07-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

In my opinion I would use a fixed blade with an arrow in the 450 grain range. don't let yourself get caught up in the speed thing, because if its not going faster than the speed of sound there's really not much point. Penatration and shot placement is the name of the game. There is a really good article in the latest issue of North American Whitetail about arrows....good read
Old 07-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

keep an eye on ebay, occasionally you will find someone selling a bunch of different broadheads together as a group......example- i bought 12 broadheads, some were fixed blade, some were mechs, for $10. Its a great cheap way to try out what flys well and then youll just have to wait and see which one kills best--its like NH said, the same broadhead can perform great or poorly depending on who the indian is.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second the slick trick mags. they always fly great for me . Yea no matter what head there are some deer that don't leave good blood trails ,they tend to bleed internaly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.