Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How often do you practice? >

How often do you practice?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How often do you practice?

Old 08-06-2003, 03:59 PM

Default How often do you practice?

I have noticed a peculiar thing the last few weeks. The more I practice, the worse I shoot. I have been shooting about 30 times a day, with both broadheads and field points. If I shoot every third or fourth day, I hit great. When I start to shoot a lot, I get more erratic. I shoot my compound instinctively. How often do you practice, and has anyone noticed this in their shooting?
Old 08-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How often do you practice?

well in a normal week i probably practice maybe once a week. i should pratice more, but after a day of working i am not ready to practice. well for me i have noticed that the more arrows that i shoot in one practice. that i do seem to do a little worse. my only thoughts are the your muscles may be getting a little tried. so relax for a day and try again.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

During the off season I shoot once a month at best,In July I pick it up to every other day and the in Aug. I begin to shoot every day ,but as deer hunter suggested don" t over due it,it becomes counter productive as you begin to fatigue
Old 08-06-2003, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

A couple times a week. I' d like to shoot more but the wife has other things she needs done.[:@]
Old 08-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

rcd 567,Maybe you can get her to hold your target
Old 08-06-2003, 05:43 PM

I used to shoot every other day. Maybe for two hours. Get a buddy and it breaks the monotony, and, it gives you little breaks instead of just standing there pounding the target.

Too much practice can and will cause you to start messing up. Your muscles need to relax and regain oxygen when you exercise them too much.

Most important part of practice, end it on a good shot. When you start getting tired, and you start to see your groups trying to open up, stop. If you keep shooting, hoping to improve, you' ll only get more tired, worse groups, and keep right on shooting trying to improve. So, when that happens, the next good shot (not group) that you make, stop. Otherwise it' ll eat at you and before you know it, you' re back out there in a few hours, or the next day and your muscles haven' t had a chance to recuperate.

Good luck to ya.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t shoot very much. I' ve picked up my bow once since last season and shot 8 arrows. Barring any need to change something, I will shoot 4-12 arrows once or twice a week once september gets here. Probably shoot a couple times between now and then.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

After several Robin Hoods, my accuracy started to fall off. Although my cable guard was loose causing much of the problem . . . but I was shooting a dozen arrows at each 20, 30, and 40 yards . . . I also conluded that I was shooting way too much and I had peaked far too early.

Now I am shooting 4 arrows at these same yardages and sometimes less and my accuracy is back bigtime.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:59 PM

I try to shoot a lot this time of year (50 to 70 every other night), main reason to build muscle memory working on form while tired. With 5 weeks before season I will really cut back to 20 every thrid night. With 30 days before season I will commit to a head and tune that one in and shot nothing but those till the season is over. I hunt mostly from the ground so also I will walk a couple of hundred yards between shots. I figure this will simulate the work of a stalk in the woods. Last thing i want to happen is to get a good shot chance and be tired, which will make for a bad shot.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:31 PM

I st-up aa range inside my office and can shoot a max 27 yards. I try to shoot about 10-15 tow or three times everyday. I have also noticed soemtime the more I shoot the worse I get and then other days.

I try lots of diffenrnt arrows and set-ups so I guess it pays to keep practicing!!

SEE YA

Quick Reply: How often do you practice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.