Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need New Broadheads >

Need New Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need New Broadheads

Old 07-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Spike

i understand wanting to spend a little less on equipment but if your knocking down deer in 25 yards why switch. i would rather spend an extra $20 on broadheads if there working that good.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rtrujillo
I couldn't get any fixed blades to fly comparable to my field points so I went with the rage expandables. Before that I used the g5 Montec. I like the broadhead but I had to adjust my sights a little with them. But they are easy to practice with and sharpen up really nice.
In-tune bows will shoot everything just about the same.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Spike

Phoenix broadheads by Red Feather Archery are what I currently have -- good price, too -- and soon I'll have some German-Kinetics SilverFlame XL broadheads (pretty pricey, though).

Here is a very helpful Broadhead test comparing over a dozen different broadheads shot into different medium such as water jugs (to judge how quickly they drain), plywood, and... ribs covered in deer hide. There's several videos showing the different tests. The best penetrating heads were the fixed blade cut-on-contact heads.

An excerpt:
I did like the hellrazor it was a very consistent head. I have had people tell me they can't get it to fly but I didn't have any problems. Also the Phoenix did a phenominal job, and is the one that will be in my quiver this year. In the pork ribs test with my set up it hit 1 rib dead center and got the outside edges of ribs on either side of that so at least 3/4 of the head was in bone and then after hitting those thick pork ribs it still got over 18" of pentration. Some got more but none of them hit that much bone either. The best part was I could look through the hole that was left
Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was looking to switch from Rage last year to Slick Tricks but couldn't get my bow to tune. It was too close to the season to mess with things so I stuck with the Rage heads. Although previous to last season I shot and recovered 4 deer with Rage 2 blades, last year I lost 2. I'm sure it was placement though (shoulder shots) but I'm pretty sure if I had hit the same spot with a good fixed blade head I would have still taken them down quickly. I'm breaking out the slick tricks next week so I'll have plenty of time to get them shooting well before the season starts.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RIStrutStopper
I was looking to switch from Rage last year to Slick Tricks but couldn't get my bow to tune. It was too close to the season to mess with things so I stuck with the Rage heads. Although previous to last season I shot and recovered 4 deer with Rage 2 blades, last year I lost 2. I'm sure it was placement though (shoulder shots) but I'm pretty sure if I had hit the same spot with a good fixed blade head I would have still taken them down quickly. I'm breaking out the slick tricks next week so I'll have plenty of time to get them shooting well before the season starts.
i also think i a good small sharp fixed blade can penetrate shoulder especially with a high poundage bow.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Myself, I like Rage 2 blades for open hunting. I also like the Muzzy, 100 gr. 3 blades for more dense conditions, like hunting in brush and/or thickets.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

BROADHEADS
Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mortalcare
anyone else here shoot crimson talon?? they destroy deer,but are heavy broadheads,and none of my friends have ever shot them
i just bought a pack. They fly very well. There funny though. They dont fly like feild tips but feild tips fly like they do. I spent 30 minutes adjusting my sight and now there spot on. And the feild tips are to. I have no idea how this works but it does.