Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Any tips for a girl starting bow hunting? >

Any tips for a girl starting bow hunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any tips for a girl starting bow hunting?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Spike

Default Any tips for a girl starting bow hunting?

Hey everyone,
This season I am officially starting bow hunting. I was wondering what kind of tips you could give me for purchasing a bow. Theres a place down the street thats getting a bunch of used bows and the manager said I could take them and try them out. I am not planning on buying a brand new bow, just a used one to start.

Have any tips on a cheap, but decent bow brand and style I should look for?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Spike

The important thing is get a bow that the draw length fits you correctly and you are not overbowed ( pulling to much poundage ) It should be comfortable for you to shoot with the max pounds you can handle. Your bow shop should be able to set you up correctly with proper arrows and such. I assume you have a short draw length so I would use cut on contact broadheads.
Mission Archery; Martin Cheeta; PSE and several more have good entry level bows that are reasonable. Check other forums also to get a idea of price on the classifieds.
Good luck and enjoy your new sport.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

My fiance is actually going to be selling her Diamond Razor's Edge bow fully outfitted so you'd be all ready to shoot. Rest, Sight, release, arrows, everything. Send me a PM if you'd like and we can work something out...It's the perfect bow, there's a wide range of adjustment for draw length and poundage... I even shot it a few times and was very impressed how smooth it was.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 AM
Spike

If that guy said you can try out all the bows you should just shoot some and see which one feels the best to you. All bows have there own feel. Find one that is comfortable for you to shoot. You can find a great used bow for a lot less than the brand new ones. Good Luck out there!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

i use a bear charge. feels great to me. like the guy said a diamond razors edge would be perfect to
Old 07-13-2011, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

you can probably find a bear truth for under 300 now. its got adjustable draw length from 21-31 inches and poundage from 40-70 so. its a great bow for the price although it is a little loud but a couple string leeches can fix that right up. welcome to this great sport and good luck this fall!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gender really has little to do with it so leave that out, what your capable of doing is what matters. Your new so you really have nothing to tell you what's best and no one can really tell you what's best, trial and error is the course often taken and for good reason.

Get what you can afford after finding as many answers as you can, but after that throw out the cost factor, it's all ridiculous from there on out, but once you hit on what's best, the cost although ridiculous will be averaged out over several season making it much more reasonable.

Understanding the geometry of a bow will help out. A long ATA will be good till you get yourself figured out. Mistakes will be made and they will be consistent so making a mistake in a lake will have little effect over all. Make the same mistake in a cup of water and the effects are enormous. A big bow shows off little in the mistake department, where a small bow will make the same mistake huge.

There's a boat load of things that go into making a shot that will effect the result, narrowing down the variables will help you get to the bottom of why the arrow didn't hit the mark.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:25 AM
Spike

I also shoot a bear charge they maybe cheap but they are a good bow and bears customer service is second to none.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If Your Young and still growing I would reccomend one of the Mission Bows made by Matthews.I was considering getting my Youngest Daughter the Mission "Menace" (retail price of around $279.00 bare bow) which can be adjusted in poundage and draw length as Your grow and get older and stronger when shooting your bow,maximum poundage was only up to around 50lbs tho...then they came out with the newer Mission "Craze" retail price of around (350.00-$379.00 I believe?).It can be adjusted in the draw length also and I'm thinking even longer and it can go up to around 70lb which is even better and the over-all length of the Bow is even shorter so it will be easier to use in a ground blind.I am seriously thinking about getting this Bow so my Girl can shoot it and grow into it and beyond...and I can even use it if She decides not to stay with shooting a Bow or I can have it adjusted to fit me during Bow Season and re-fit it back to her draw-legth and poundage when I'm done with Archery Season from Sept 15 to Jan 15?I'll check to see the exact prices on these 2 Bows...I can say that those are some pretty good prices and they may vary depending on the Shop that carries them?

In some States Your are required to have a Bow set at least to a certain poundage to be able to Hunt and Harvest a Deer so be sure to check into that for whatever State You happen to live in?

Last edited by GTOHunter; 07-20-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Fred Bear Apprentice..........Pink camo if you like. My wife likes hers alot. Very adjustable in Draw length and draw weight, very light, and short ATA.
Attached Thumbnails Any tips for a girl starting bow hunting?-pink-apprentice.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.