Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Southern deer jump the string more????? >

Southern deer jump the string more?????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Southern deer jump the string more?????

Old 08-07-2003, 10:59 AM

Default RE: Southern deer jump the string more?????

I bet your deer have seen the way ya' ll treat your farm animals!
We love our animals but we dont LOVE our animals. [X(]

Go stick your head in the snow.[X(][:-]
Old 08-07-2003, 11:56 AM

im with porkchop... our deer have less weight to carry so maybe theyre a little quicker?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:01 PM

I' ll put a little different spin on it. I have seen in this state where deer in the central/southern part of the state are somewhat acustomed to " people" and all of the other sounds/odors etc that go with it and are more tolerant. The area I hunt in the northern part has a growing wolf population and these deer are basically " hunted" 24/7, so they are very wary. Many people I know that hunt the lower part of the state on private land, near towns and farms and over food plots, etc. think I' m off base on this and it should be the other way around because there are more people around and the deer are spooky in those areas. Anyone who knows squat about the whitetail, know that they are probably one of the most adaptable animals around. Urban deer are more and more prevalant.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bet your deer have seen the way ya' ll treat your farm animals!

I' d be jumpy too!

A young Yankee bow hunter goes into a bar in one of the southern States. The bar is full of people and all eyes are upon him as he takes a chair and requests a glass of milk. As the bartender obliges his requests he says,
" Your not from around here are ya boy!"
" No," the young man answers.
" Where you all from?" asks the bartender.
" I' m from Iowa!" replies the hunter. The room lights up with the muffled sound of perplexed human voices.
" Ioway?! Where in the heck is Ioway?" asked the bartender. The muffled voices suddenly fall silent.
" It' s up north in the midwest." the young hunters says with a smile.
" Whadya all do up ther?" asked the bartender.
" I' m a taxidermist!" replies the hunter.
" Taxydermist? What in the heck is a taxyderimist???" asked the bewildered bar tender. The young hunter begins to feel nervous as once again all eyes look his direction in deafening silence.
" I mount animals!" said the young hunter.
A big smile breaks across the lips of the bartender as he makes the announcement,
" It' s okay boys, he' s one of us!" []

.....Just kidding of course....[&:]
Old 08-07-2003, 12:12 PM

I have bowhunted in S.E. Virginia and S.E. Pennsylvania and have been doing so for 9 years. I have noticed quite the opposite. The deer where I hunt in PA drop like they have been hit with a sledge hammer at the release of an arrow. The deer here in VA don' t react half as much to the string. I believe it' s because the deer in Eastern VA are about deaf from having Walker hound baking in their ears for three months every year.LOL. It' s true though. The other thing I have noticed is the deer I hunt in PA will let you get-away with alot more subtle movements and light noise while in the stand but when your bow goes off, Momma bar the doors, their out of there.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

Pork Chop hit the nail on the head. Those south Texas deer are sooooo much smaller and wiry than the big hawgs in Canada. It is a simple matter of size. Take a feather weight fighter and a heavy weight fighter and see who is quicker and faster. A big mature doe in Canada weighs more than a mature buck in Fla or south Texas.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:55 PM

here in tennessee the deer around here no when huntin season is near.but all i got to say is if you got a good bow that is preety fast and quite you will get that deer. and he will not jump the string.buy the time the deer no what is goin on. it is all over with already.the key is having a good silent bow.

GET UP AND IT THE DEER WOODS.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:39 PM

I think Pork Chop has something. It`s just not possible for our 200-300lb whitetails to reacte as fast as their streamlined southern cousins. Those southern deer have to worry about bobcats and coyotes but northern deer are just to big to fall prey to these predators most of the time.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I think the storys a crock. I' ve hunted deer from WI. to Texas, they all can jump the string. Its amazing what these writers will dream up just for a story.
I agree with that.

It really depends on a couple things.... exposure to humans and hunting pressure. I' ve hunted Georgia, Alabama, NY, Ohio, PA, Indiana, Texas and Maryland. Deer are deer with some localized perculiarities. I hunt a spot in Maryland where they shot 400 deer in 3 years on the adjacent farm on crop damage permits. My deer there were so spooky when that was going on I often aimed at the belly line on some deer and achieved dead center hits at less than 20 yards. I hunt the Adirondacks. There are deer up there that have NO exposure to humans. They travel great distances to feed and at the first hint of man they' re moving to the next section of land. In the Southern Tier of NY they' re more patternable and predictable. They are more like my Maryland deer in that but don' t stand around if you do something wrong because they get a lot of hunting pressure, BUT.... I never had a Southern Tier deer duck an arrow. They have more contact with humans which sort of offsets the hunting pressure. I guess what I' m saying is it depends..... but the story as written is a crock deduced from HIS hunts and the places he hunts. If he' s traveling to these exotic Northern hunts where pressure is limited he may very well have had tamer acting deer. In most NOrthern states the season is shorter so they don' t get the constant pressure.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve never hunted in any other state other then NY, so I couldn' t tell you. But if its anything like I experience here in NY it could be possible in some parts. Why. I live in whats considered the Northern Tier region of NY. I bowhunt it, and never have had a deer jump a string, or look up into trees for stand hunters. I own a camp,and hunting land in the Southern Tier region of Ny, and those dam deer are totally different. They are big time string jumpers, and constantly looking up into the tree' s. I' ve had doe, bucks under my stands. Appear to be completely calm, take aim, release, and they duck my arrows. I consider my bow to be very quiet, and done alot to keep it that way. Reasons why I feel this happens. For one the bowseason in the southern region is longer. 2- deer see more archery pressure in the southern region. 3- southern archery falls during the rut, and I' m sure doe, and younger bucks are a natural jumpy.

Quick Reply: Southern deer jump the string more?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.