Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need a great hunting knife >

Need a great hunting knife

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need a great hunting knife

Old 08-06-2003, 08:07 AM

Default RE: Need a great hunting knife

Buck knives are good, but not as good as they were 30 years ago.
Must be they had to compete on price with some brand that was more popular. Too bad, because the one I have would last anyone a lifetime, and hold up admirably to any normal use.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:58 AM

Marble makes a great hunting knife in the $50 -$100 range and are quality craftsmanship marbleknives.com
Old 08-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Straightarrow, as I understand things, they went from 440 C stainless to lesser grade 420 J2 because it' s more ' cost effective.' The 420 works better in the machines they use to stamp out blades.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree with Arthur, my best knifes are ones that were my Grandfathers. I also have an old German Hunting Knife that is just marked Standard which my Uncle gave me 25 years ago. That is my main knife. It is a 4" blade and is fixed. I have an old Case folding knife that was my fathers which is also a great knife.

I have a few newer knifes includuding a little 1 3/4 inch Buck, that I ussually have in my pocket. And I have a puma folding knife that I have taken on a hunt on occassion.

But, if you want to find some of the best knifes out there I would suggest watching garage sales and flea markets.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

I' d recommend either an older Buck. I have a 15 to 20 year old Buck fixed blade 5" that is great. But my current knife of chioce is the Kershaw Alaskan blade trader. Very shape holds and edge great and I have had very good luck with it. If you don' t want the gut hook/skinner blade they have other options including the hunter trader. I just like mine and would feel comfortable taking it anywhere to go hunting with.

http://www.kershawknives.com/huntfish.htm
Old 08-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Case also used to make an affordable knife that is of good quality, I am not sure what they are like now though.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:20 AM

Anyone ever used or seen a SOG knife??? Saw an ad in Rifle magazine and checked this one out. Looks nice.

www.sogknives.com
Old 08-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

one name...buck knives....... i have a buck special with a 6 inch blade.... it hold the edge for a long time if sharpened right and doesn' t knick.... works great
Old 08-06-2003, 12:39 PM

Vote : Buck
Vote : Fixed Blade for most Folding for pack hunting.
Vote : Spend as much as you can you get what you pay for.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:50 PM

i have bowie knife that has a blade that is 14' ' long nice knife it is survival type knife. it works good field dressing deer.

Quick Reply: Need a great hunting knife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.