Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
swtiching from rage to muzzys should I? >

swtiching from rage to muzzys should I?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

swtiching from rage to muzzys should I?

Old 06-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default swtiching from rage to muzzys should I?

Im trying to decide if its a good idea or bad? looking to way the advantages and disadvantages. If i do switch witch muzzys should i shoot? Im shooting a hoyt vectrix 100gr practice tips. shooting carbon express maxima arrows.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

The difference is the Muzzy's will work every time no matter what. Lost a nice buck because of those POS rage 2 blades last year. Never using another mech broad-head, this year im going to be using the new Grizztrick 2's
Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

I always use a standard muzzy 3 blade. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

I love the muzzy phantoms. Cut on contact is the way to go.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not a Muzzy shooter BUT they are excellent heads & why anyone would want to take the chance of a malfunction due to something not moving is beyond me. I've been to MANY Camps where i've seen a lost animal due to a mechanical (more than 1 type). Enough to know I would not want to take the chance even ONCE.
I shoot a 3 blade fixed Rocky Mountain that is very similar to the Muzzys. Good Luck. i don't think you'll be sorry.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used both and both have worked great. I prefer the Muzzy's when hunting thick cover though.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my old self's advice on broadheads. After 45+ years of archery hunting, I have yet to find a single reason to complicate anything about archery hunting. A well built, sharp cut on contact broad head like the Snuffer design or old "Land Sharks" in the 125-170 gr. range, that doesn't not plane out of your set up ... at these blazing speeds that modern compounds can generate is the way to go. The replaceable blade designs of Muzzy and Thunderhead are the only two replaceable blade designs with which I have experience. Both worked great for me and the "chisel" point concept is a solid idea. As far as expandables? I have stayed away form these designs, admittedly because I am one of those "don't fix what ain't broke" sort of guys. Because of an injury I have had to switch to a X-Bow for these past 3 seasons, and who knows for how long now ... and I switched to Montec 3 blades .. for no really good reason except they looked like a well made cutter. These killers for sure. Easy to sharpen and fly superb. If you don't try the Muzzy's, give these a look see.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

X2
Originally Posted by Mojotex
Montec 3 blades looked like a well made cutter. These killers for sure. Easy to sharpen and fly superb. If you don't try the Muzzy's, give these a look see.
Another several blades to check out are the g5 strikers, any of the slick tricks, shuttle t blades and meat seekers.
I believe the meat seekers, although they are a mechanical blade, are forced to open up no matter what. I have used them a couple times and they are very nasty heads.
With whatever you choose...good luck with them!
Tim
Old 06-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

+ 1 with the muzzy mx3 (100 grain) (mx3 are a little more compact than the others) they fly just as straight as a field tip on my easton carbon arrows. Took 3 deer last year, all double lunged, all pass threw shots. Great heads. Now I will say... A long shot on a deer may give him notice, these heads hiss while in flight and if your shooting 40-50 yrds they might hear it coming. I never shoot that far so its not a problem. Make sure you snug your tips up with the supplied wrench. Only other thing I dont like is the blade get some surface rust if out in the weather... not a big deal to me tho.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

I shot the slick tricks once they just didnt fly good for me and made alot of noise.the arrow flew funny with them to. thats when i switched to rage they flew great but i hat how easy they open and the penetration and fear of them not opening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.