HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Keeping history going (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/345984-keeping-history-going.html)

brunsc 06-22-2011 09:52 AM

Keeping history going

Remember when the king of hunting was holding his bow? Fred Bear? When people would go hunting and blaim the miss on them self and not their bow? People in my opinoin are too money minded..i mean sure i shoot my 500 dollar bear bow but it is possible to kill a deer with a 100 dollar bow nd cheap camo. I love to hunt and ive been bring friends into hunting and neices and nephews.. And to me people none of my friends or family is fortunate to shoot 500 dollar bows or even "#1 mathews" bc mathews doesnt miss? Plz my Friends bought old used bows and every one of them got a deer and tht bow is the most beautiful thig to them bc its part of them. You tell me are we gettin caught up in all this? I want to hear ur stories nd tell me if im right or wrong..prove me wrong!! Bc inside of everyone they have alil bear inside them..god bless fred bear!!! Thx yall

ryndisher 06-23-2011 05:06 PM

I shoot a Mathews Monster XLR8 cost me 750. Its all a matter of preference and choice, thats why the United States of America is the greatest country in the world. Not saying there is anything wrong with hunting with an old bow but if you have the money to get a shiny new toy why not?

God bless :)

brunsc 06-23-2011 05:31 PM

I agree but im just sayin for thos hunters just startin im sayin you dont hve to hve the greatest to be the greatest

LKNCHOPPERS 06-24-2011 06:00 AM

For people just starting out a compound bow that is not brand new is great. If it is really old and you shoot year round, it may not be the best choice. There are alot of used bows in the $300 price range that are really nice. For $100 I am sure you can get a bow that will kill a deer and get someone interested in the sport. If they stick with it and excel it is not uncommon for people to upgrade every 3-5 years if they shoot alot.

rtrujillo 06-24-2011 10:03 AM

I would recommend that someone just getting interested in bowhunting buy either a cheap used bow or one of the inexpensive new ones. There is no need to spend the big money when you are starting out. I had my first hoyt easton bow for 10 years before I upgraded. Then I went to the pearson spoiler until 2 years ago. I was still shooting with fingers and aluminum arrows and people thought I was crazy. I will say that every time I have upgraded to a newer bow I have become a better shot and been able to shoot more consistently at longer distances.

But...most bows will kill whatever you want them too if you hit the animal in the right spot. Whatever bow you shoot it is important to shoot it as much as you can and get as good with it as you can before you go hunting. It's just nice to get a newer piece of equipment every once in a while.

louie6014 06-24-2011 12:52 PM

I wish I were good enough to stalk into the woods with my home made long bow and arrows, and actually/ sucessfully harvest deer but Im not. I know a big ol boy who does this and limits every year on deer for their meat. I started with a 500 dollar bear strike package a year ago, and since upgraded to a more expensive bow (limb on my bear cracked), I shoot twice a month, and hunted probably 40 times last year. A cheap bow is a great starter, however Ive seen people w/o archery knowledge buy a used bow for 100, then spend 100 on a new string, 100 on arrows/ set draw/ different rest.. and in the long run the bow still isnt correct for them. Ide pay the 300-400 outright for a package bow from a bow shop and be done with it for a few years. But some people also do this and it sits under the bed wasting away. And IMO its all worthless unless your practicing with it. Fred Bear got good from never leaving the woods, or setting that bow down. I hear they are re-doing all his old film reels/ and making a musem? or somthing along those lines... :)