Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Best for Hog Hunting?? >

Best for Hog Hunting??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best for Hog Hunting??

Old 06-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Spike

Default Best for Hog Hunting??

Im new to the forum and and was wondering what the best setup would be for hog hunting? Like which broad heads are better? I was thinking about getting the Rage 2 but wasnt sure if they would be good for hogs since they are tough. I was also looking at the Grim Reapers but Ive read a lot of people said Muzzy are the best. But there are just so many it gets kind of confusing. Also which would be better to use, Carbon Arrows or Aluminum. Im going to be going soon with some friends soon to watch and learn some first but they all use guns.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by Ultrakd; 06-06-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Just my personal thoughts, I would not change anything that you are comfortable with for hogs. Not sure if you a a deer hunter or not. But I would use the same set up that you have for deer for hogs. Rage, Grimm Reeper, ect, they all get the job done. Shot placement is the key. You can have the most expensive gear and it is still on you to make the shot. Good Luck
Old 06-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Spike

I havent gone hunting yet. Ive just been practicing in my back yard shooting field tips. Ill be going with some friends to watch them hunt, learn how to skin them and everything. Then Ill be going, but right now I dont have any broad heads.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

I like rage. They all cost about the same when you get the good ones. I would suggest carbon arrows for all game. Sounds like you are new at it so I would start off with not to expensive stuff. You will learn over time what works and what does not. Carbon arrows will last you a lot longer than aluminum, so you save money in the long run.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Spike

Yeah I have some carbon and some aluminum and the Carbon seem to be a lot more accurate. what brand do you use for hunting?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Myself I wouldn't use a rage or any other mech broadhead for hog hunting. I would go with a cut on contact head and a smaller one at that, something like a G5 striker, slick trick grizztrick, magnus stinger or buzzcut.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 AM
Spike

Smile Best for Hog Hunting??

Interesting post.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

I use gold tip velocity arrows. Nothing super special. Get them at cabelas. You want to have something you are comfortable with for many types of game. You go changing your set up for every type of animal you will mess yourself up. But if you are starting out hog hunting, carbon arrows and a good 100 grain broadhead will do the trick. Will transfer over into deer or turkey quite nicely.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Spike

I dont have to much of a setup right now. I just got some cheap carbon arrows with field tips to practice with. But Im thinking of going to my local archery store and getting some Carbon arrows good for hunting. Them I think Im liking the Muzzy Phantom, the Magnus Stinger and the G5 Striker and Striker Magnum. I guess I just gotta decide which I wanna try first.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

An archery shop is a great place to go. They will get you all set up. Just know you don't have to break the bank. Go with carbon, you don't have to buy the best brand or the worse, middle of the road is fine. I am not familiar with those broad heads you mentioned so the archery shop will be able to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.