Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 heres a question for u stick hunters..... >

heres a question for u stick hunters.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

heres a question for u stick hunters.....

Old 08-04-2003, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default heres a question for u stick hunters.....

any help from all you minnesotans would be good too.....

i bowhunt in a pretty open area.... with tall, limbless oaks.... till u get 3o feet up there.... and i' ve shot at deer from 15 feet off the ground..... how come if its soo open.... the deer let me move and shoot at them? its something i' ve never figured out.... but i was wondering.... what are the chances of me taking a really big buck that i saw at the end of last bow season.... this year? its a pretty nice lookin buck and i would really like to take it but i think i' m gonna shoot the first 6+ pointer that comes by..... is there any way i can insure that i' ll see this deer or not? i love hunting and will spend as much time as possible out in the woods.... problem is i only have one stand that i can rely upon.... i only have permission to hunt 1/2 mile of the river and this is the best spot i' ve been able to find.... the deer in the area don' t really go into my hunting area.... and i hunt as far in as possible.... which is as far as the deer come in my area.... they always turn around once they get to the edge.... do i not go in as far and see if i can gt deer coming in from the other side or do i just stick with this one stand? any help would be greatly appreciated... thanx

Andy
Old 08-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: heres a question for u stick hunters.....

musta been a bad post sorry i took up the space guys[:' (]
Old 08-05-2003, 06:25 AM

I think it' s just that you are missing a bit of info to be able to give you good advice.

Being in the air even 15 feet allows you to get away with a bit more than on the ground .. but because you did it once, don' t think every deer will allow you to pull it off.

As far as asking if it is possible to shoot the " pretty nice lookin buck" .. well if you say that you' ll shoot the first 6 pointer that walks by ... I' d say highly unlikely.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:55 AM

the two main ideas of hunting and taking quality bucks are

PATIENCE & PERSISTENCE

you have already said that you are shooting the first 6 that walks by so there goes your patience and you say that you only hunt this one spot -- if you only have one stand get out there and stick another one up deeper in the area you hunt or do some good scouting and hunt on the ground acouple of times just to see what you see.

and NO there is no way on earth for us to tell you if you are or arn' t going to see a nice buck-- my crystal ball broke yesterday
Old 08-05-2003, 07:33 AM

Be very careful of your trail where you walk in. You will leave a scent trail and the deer will smell it and spook. You need to try to get in the area without crossing any of the deer trails and without letting the wind carry your scent to where the deer are coming from. Rubber boots are a big plus for keeping your scent trail to a minimum.

Getting higher is a good way to keep the deer from spotting you, but you need to be careful of your shot angle. Steep shot angles will cause you to hit one lung and a deer (especially a large buck) can go a long ways on a one lung hit.

No guarantees on seeing any one deer. I' ve seen quite a few large bucks that dissappeared never to be killed or seen again. That' s why they call it hunting. I would be careful not to overhunt that one stand though. You leave scent every time you go in and come back out and the deer will pick up on it and shy away from the area.

Good luck on finding him though, it' s quite possible he will be right in the same area. You never know til you go.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:24 AM

Well some good advise!! The patience and persistence ,I agree , are key!!! The only element I could add would be some mock synthetic srapes. Ole factory sense is key to deer' s survival!!! If you can get them curious as to who' s new it helps. It' s not a given but can and does work. Deer scrape year round , but most aren' t that visible . Make sure that your one stand has something the deer like!! Try to be on a thick cover edge,in a corner of a field, or on a viable food source. once that' s done, set up your scrape(S) . You can also get them working it in daylight hours sometimes by freshening at key times( midmorn or mid afternoon). The use of synthetics is because they don' t turn ammonia like urine. Use a non-rut scent ( ie hawgs pre/post rut). Conversly that deer can also pattern you coming to stand!!! Try to use different approaches and be there well before they wanna be there. This also works with ground setups. It can make them " hunt you" . Curiousity killed the cat and more than a few deer too!!! Good luck and hope this helps. SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT AND BE PATIENT. Remember that after the kill the hunts over and the WORK BEGINS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

thanx for the advice guys....

i did to 4 deer in 3 days last year....... they didn' t catch on..... i' ve been thinking about a mock scrape but haven' t really been too sure about it..... and i hunt on the inside edge of a field also.... i' ve also been thinking of putting a stand almost next to the highway..... the cover along one side of the river is used by lots of deer close to the highway for some odd reason.... its thick and i think they might bed there..... not sure..... but thats about it as far as stand options.... i did pin point a core area of one buck last year.... not sure he' s still there tho.... probly caught some lead during slug season.... and far as 6' s coming by the buck to doe ratio here isn' t the greatest..... theres lots of deer smaller than 6 points..... i guess i shluldn' t say 6 pointer cause some 1 1/2 year olds here are 6' s... what i should say is i' m not gonna take a little buck.... i' m not so much of a trophy hunter asi am a meat hunter.... if i have a big enough doe come by i' m gonna shoot but i' m gonna wait till the end of the season before i do that..... i hope this little bit of extra info helps out........thanx

Andy