Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

99% letoff

Old 08-02-2003, 12:30 PM

Default 99% letoff

my local archery dealer was in nelsonville recently and told me about a new bow thats accuatly has a 99% letoff.the weirdest thing he ever saw.he said you could pull it back and let the riser drop toward the floor and the bow would stay at full draw.just thought i would pass it on.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 99% letoff

Can you imagine the feel as you draw it back? Or the sudden jerk as the arrow is released? When does it not become a bow any longer? For this reason Pope and Young has a let off limit. I for one won' t shoot anything more than 65% letoff.

Hmmmm, maybe its about time I went back to a stick bow.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

My dealer has something like this also. He calls it a crossbow.[]
Old 08-02-2003, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

[X(][:' (]
Old 08-02-2003, 05:11 PM

That is incredible!
Old 08-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

HMmmmmmmmm I don' t know how this can be done without it being a crossbow. But I wont use it I just love my Darton Maverick with 75% letoff.

Brian
Old 08-03-2003, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is interesting the direction we are going. Back " in the day" when we thought we were " right downtown" shooting 50% let off (and less) bows, if someone would have told us about an 80% I think we would have similar reactions to what we see concerning this 99% let off bow. At this point I can' t see needing one, but then, who knows what the future holds.

As long as we are on let off issues I see some changes in the wings coming for P&Y. Two years ago when the 65% let off was voted on it was voted nearly 3 to 1 in favor of keeping it there. This year I am told it barely passed by a mere six votes (this is hearsay so I can' t verify the six vote accuracy). However I thought it was interesting and very foreshadowing that Jim Dougherty, past P&Y president and director, in his monthly editorial column Trails End, in the October issue of Petersen' s Bowhunting states very emphatically that P&Y should change the 65% rule. I would say there is a change coming--- perhaps as early as next spring. []
Old 08-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Antler eater, I just recieved my Petersons Bowhunting yesterday and read Jims Trails End editorial ( I always read that first) and found it very interesting. I also subscribe to Bowhunter, and M.R. James ( also on the P & Y board for years) had an excellent editorial echoing the thoughts of Jim Dougherty, his belief that the let off limit should be changed. That is two very prominent members expressing the need for a change, in national magazines no less. I feel the same as you, I see a change on the horizon.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:26 AM

I think you have to draw a line somewere.Or the lines will get so blurry that compounds will no longer be" percieved" as a primitive weapon.The 99% let off if it works may be an alternative for some disabled folks that don' t want to shoot an xbow.

CB
Old 08-03-2003, 10:53 AM

that is just totally impractical, and thats all i got to say.

Quick Reply: 99% letoff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.