Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How to cut arrows? >

How to cut arrows?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to cut arrows?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default How to cut arrows?

Hey yall I was wondering how you guys cut your arrows. I am currently cutting it with a jig saw. I take painters tape a wrap multiple layers around where I want the arrow cut to and it seemed to work on some arrows but not others does this sound like a right thing to do? Any other ideas??

Thanks,
Whitetail General
Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before I had an arrow saw, I always used a small pipe cutter. Now, I was cutting aluminum arrows at the time but I would think it would work on carbons as well, if that's what you're shooting. I would not use a jig saw on carbon arrows because of the splintering issue. Be careful. Here is a link to a small pipe cutter so you can see what it looks like. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Tubing-Cutt...item35b12f8736

Blessings......Pastorjim
Old 04-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cut my own arrows . . .

for the past twenty or so years, with the same hand hack saw, and a new blade on occasion. Of course, I learned in the old days and still use aluminum or alloy arrows.
Those arrow saws kept me away from carbon arrows.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a tile saw with a diamond blade. I tape them as well but I have never had one splinter with a tile saw blade. I rotate it around until it is cut thru the thickness of the arrow.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wheatley
I use a tile saw with a diamond blade. I tape them as well but I have never had one splinter with a tile saw blade. I rotate it around until it is cut thru the thickness of the arrow.
Yes, this is what I have been doing. I haven't tried a different blade yet and I may have to do thaat. I also think that I maybe didn't cut some of the arrows as patiently as others cause some it worked really good and others not so good.

I also think that I may have a small pipe cutter like that I will have to dig around the shop and try to find it.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a dremel with a diamond wheel
Old 04-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

chop saw, carbide tipped blades (good ones), backer board cut to except the shaft. Each time I cut a little more off the board. Experience operator !