Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting elk with an expandable broadhead? >

Hunting elk with an expandable broadhead?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting elk with an expandable broadhead?

Old 04-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting elk with an expandable broadhead?

I'm going on my first elk hunt in the fall. The only broadheads I have used are expandables. Mostly NAP Spitfires. I've had great success using this heads on deer. What are your thoughts on using this head on an elk.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

just the failures i have had with huntind wt and hog, made me switch ti a fixed blade. i said i'd never go back...but the spit fires made me...again..i was disappointed...and vowed to never use a mech again.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going on a guided hunt you might want to check with the outfitter. Some frown on their use and some outright say "NO WAY". Also, there are a couple of states that outlaw their use. Best to get all your ducks in a row on the legalities or outfitter's wishes.

I don't use mechanicals of any sort for several reasons. Nothing to do with the heads themselves. I'm just one of those guys who do not accept any excuses for not getting good flight with fixed blade heads and I don't mean other's excuses but my own.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed quite a few elk with 1-3/8" cut Grim Reapers, unfortunately I do not know how well the Spitfires would work on elk.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

The fact that many outfitters and some states do not allow the use of mechanicals on elk should tell you everything you need to know. There are plenty of great fixed blade heads out there that fly with the same point of impact as fieldpoints from a well tuned bow. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

penetration, penetration, penetration......ya can't get too much penetration. A good fixed will out penetrate a mech., all other things equal, any day of the week, and on a big elk, I'll take all the penetration I can get.
Some guys use mechs. with success, BUT some guys are pulling high poundage bows too with a lot of energy so they can get away with doing so. I'll take a pass through with a good fixed blade every chance I can get it.
An elk is NOT a whitetail.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Rage broadheads are unbeatable! I have used fixed blade G5 Montec's for the first two years of elk hunting & I never got a complete pass through... Now that I swithed to the 2-blade Rage broadheads I not only get complete pass throughs but with a gaping 2"+ entry & exit wound. Howler, check out the penatration test on Rage Broadheads website, it gets better penatration than all the fixed blades they tested. I do agree that for those of us that shoot high poundage bows do put out alot more energy but my mother shoots 55lbs. & had a complete pass through on a big mature bull last fall using the 3-blade Rage (proper shot placement). Really, all broadheads are sharp & will kill if there is proper shot placement, in the end it all comes down to personal prefrence.

-South
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

I for one do not believe that the penetration test done on rages website can be true. If you think about how much more a two inch cutting expandable would drag, then you have to realize that it cannot out penetrate a smaller cutting fixed blade. Needless to say what would happen to one when hitting a shoulder blade or a rib. I understand shot placement is key, but there will always be ribs in the way of a well placed shot. IMO you should get some fixed blade heads that you are confident with and make sure you bow is tuned for those heads. Good luck on your hunt, I hope we get to see success pictures when you get back!

Originally Posted by South33
Rage broadheads are unbeatable! I have used fixed blade G5 Montec's for the first two years of elk hunting & I never got a complete pass through... Now that I swithed to the 2-blade Rage broadheads I not only get complete pass throughs but with a gaping 2"+ entry & exit wound. Howler, check out the penatration test on Rage Broadheads website, it gets better penatration than all the fixed blades they tested. I do agree that for those of us that shoot high poundage bows do put out alot more energy but my mother shoots 55lbs. & had a complete pass through on a big mature bull last fall using the 3-blade Rage (proper shot placement). Really, all broadheads are sharp & will kill if there is proper shot placement, in the end it all comes down to personal prefrence.

-South
Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Waldo Hunter
I for one do not believe that the penetration test done on rages website can be true. If you think about how much more a two inch cutting expandable would drag, then you have to realize that it cannot out penetrate a smaller cutting fixed blade. Needless to say what would happen to one when hitting a shoulder blade or a rib. I understand shot placement is key, but there will always be ribs in the way of a well placed shot. IMO you should get some fixed blade heads that you are confident with and make sure you bow is tuned for those heads. Good luck on your hunt, I hope we get to see success pictures when you get back!
I have witnessed the Rage penetration test & it is 100% true. The Rage bradhead has alot less drag than a typical 3 blade fixed blade; If you look at the typical fixed blade it is actually designed like a plow & actually has a small tip & gradually gets bigger, while the rage is shaped more like a bullet and creates as little drag as possible. The Rage has thinner/tougher blades that actually flex because of the O-ring & does its job by opening up the wound canal rather than making a small pin hole that is very inaffective unless it is a complete pass through. Like I said before you need to try them before making a positive conclusion.

-South
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have not seen the rage penetration test in person so I cannot not say if it is true or not, I just said that I do not believe it. I can tell you really believe in your Rage heads and that is fine. I am just trying to give him my opinion based on my own knowledge. A fixed blade broadhead will NOT fail. It has no moving parts to allow it to fail. That is one of the main reasons I use them for big game animals. I'm not saying a rage wouldn't kill an elk. I would not want to hit an elks shoulder with a rage or even try to get a two blade rage into the rib cage of an elk. If the blades are going in horizontal where the ribs are vertical, then the rage is not entering the cage, end of story. That's why I say shoot a good fixed blade so you don't have to worry about all the variables that come with a mechanical head. Again this is all just my opinion, I do not have first hand experience with them, but I have seen one of my friends lose a good buck because of bad penetration. He shoots fixed blades now.

Originally Posted by South33
I have witnessed the Rage penetration test & it is 100% true. The Rage bradhead has alot less drag than a typical 3 blade fixed blade; If you look at the typical fixed blade it is actually designed like a plow & actually has a small tip & gradually gets bigger, while the rage is shaped more like a bullet and creates as little drag as possible. The Rage has thinner/tougher blades that actually flex because of the O-ring & does its job by opening up the wound canal rather than making a small pin hole that is very inaffective unless it is a complete pass through. Like I said before you need to try them before making a positive conclusion.

-South

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.