HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Whats the deal with blazer veins? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/341417-whats-deal-blazer-veins.html)

Poor Man 03-05-2011 10:58 AM

Whats the deal with blazer veins?

I have always liked feathers over veins for the forgiveness. A feather will lay down when it brushes against something and not afect the path of the arrow. The problem we have all had with feathers is even with the powder waterproofing they still can get wet and where I hunt in the Rockys this is no good. I have even packed in a dozen arrows to take 6 and leave 6 in case mine get wet I can dry them and repowder. It becomes a hasstle so I switched to veins. Always used 4" duaveins and fleched a hard right helical for optimum spin and stabilization. Seem to me a 4" duravein would stabilize the arrow better than a short blazer vein. Am I wrong? I guess its like anything else try it and see what happens. Well lets see what you all have to say about this before I stip an arrow and try it! Thanks for any and all advise and veiws or experience with this new aged vein.

RidgeFACTOR 03-06-2011 08:50 AM

Actually they are called "vanes" and not "veins"...lol

bigbulls 03-06-2011 11:33 AM

A wet feather will still shoot just fine.

ryndisher 03-06-2011 06:29 PM

Longer vanes don't stabilize the arrow any better, they just create more drag and possibility for wind drift because of larger surface area. Blazers are much better than larger 4" vanes.

YooperMike 03-07-2011 07:07 AM

I've shot feathers, vanes, and Blazers. I shoot FMJ arrows, with only about 1.5" cut off, so my arrows need all the help they can get. After going round and round messing with fletching combos, I'm back to feathers. I find that they stabilize my logs quicker, making me a little more accurate. The thought behind the Blazer is that they are short, but very stiff, giving you the stabilization quickly, but without the drag of a larger vane. I used them when I was shooting 3D tourneys and they did work just fine, but on my hunting setup, it's all feathers for me.

And yes, wet feathers do shoot just like dry ones in my experience.

MeanV2 03-08-2011 05:56 AM

You really can't beat Feathers! I spray mine with Camp Dry and never have a problem with wet feathers.

Other fletching may work but IMHO Feathers are Top Dog! :)

Dan

TFOX 03-09-2011 01:06 PM

Feathers work fine when wet, at least in my test they do. Feathers should outperform blazers on most typical hunting rigs where slower and heavier arrows are the norm. When you get into light arrows at higher speeds, the blazers may have a slight advantage at longer distances. Heavy and slow needs drag but light and fast does not.

nodog 03-11-2011 02:30 PM

Ya got my vote. Tried all 3 and still use the 4" duravane. A wet feather doesn't look the same and can't weigh the same. Even if it works the same I just don't like it. Blazers I don't like and liked them less after weighing a set and finding them heavier than the manufacture claims. Bottom line when it comes to that few seconds a shot comes, trust is something I don't have a desire to bend on.

stapher1 03-12-2011 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by ryndisher (Post 3783055)
Longer vanes don't stabilize the arrow any better, they just create more drag and possibility for wind drift because of larger surface area. Blazers are much better than larger 4" vanes.

+1, I switched to blazers 4 yrs ago and won't go back.

demoIL 03-13-2011 06:14 PM

I shoot some turkey feathers from time to time but really I like the blazers.. I don't notice much difference in accuracy but I think it's just faster to rebuild an arrow with a wrap and a blazer.. When I do have spare time I always make up a couple feathers.. Anyway, with regards to your concern.. I think you will be happy with the blazer vanes..