Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Better Brand of Bow/Type for Someone Tall? >

Better Brand of Bow/Type for Someone Tall?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Better Brand of Bow/Type for Someone Tall?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Better Brand of Bow/Type for Someone Tall?

Quick question for everyone. I'm in the market for a new bow and was wondering if there is a better brand or type that would suit someone a little taller than most hunters? I'm 6'7" and in good physical shape so something with a higher draw weight as well. Any suggestions at all? I shoot a PSE now that was one of the cheaper package type bows I bought in 2005. Now that I bow hunt more I'm looking for something with a little more quality and not sure if there is a brand or make that seems to be better for the taller hunter. I've been leaning towards a mathews with everything I've heard about them but would be open to anything. Thanks and any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Spike

Im 6'3'' and I special orderd an 80 lb. BowTech Alegence in 2006 Its still a great bow.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 6'10" and I've shot a few different ones. My first "new" compound was a Bowtech Old Glory, loved that bow, should have kept it. Traded that on a Bowtech Commander that I've still got. Really shoot this bow well, but its an anchor. I've shot it for three deer seasons and lots of tournaments, but I was looking for something with a lighter mass weight and also a little shorter ATA. I just bought a Hoyt Maxxis 35, haven't shot it much yet, and by not much I mean probably 30 shots. Considerably lighter, and also several inches shorter, so we'll see how this one works out. These days, it's getting tougher to find a bow if you don't want that will fit in your shirt pocket. The new Mathews look like a toy.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mike knows what he is talking about! He is definitely a Big Guy!

I might add that IMO you are better off staying away from the little short A to A bows most are making today. I'd stay with something 35" and above for your draw length.

Dan

Originally Posted by YooperMike
I'm 6'10" and I've shot a few different ones. My first "new" compound was a Bowtech Old Glory, loved that bow, should have kept it. Traded that on a Bowtech Commander that I've still got. Really shoot this bow well, but its an anchor. I've shot it for three deer seasons and lots of tournaments, but I was looking for something with a lighter mass weight and also a little shorter ATA. I just bought a Hoyt Maxxis 35, haven't shot it much yet, and by not much I mean probably 30 shots. Considerably lighter, and also several inches shorter, so we'll see how this one works out. These days, it's getting tougher to find a bow if you don't want that will fit in your shirt pocket. The new Mathews look like a toy.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

It is your draw length you need to fit not your height. Go to a well known archery pro shop, not a sporting good store, and they will measure your draw length correctly. Then you choose the bow that feels comfortable to you based on your draw length. Jim
Old 03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Jim Williams
It is your draw length you need to fit not your height. Go to a well known archery pro shop, not a sporting good store, and they will measure your draw length correctly. Then you choose the bow that feels comfortable to you based on your draw length. Jim
Absolutly correct! But he said something about higher draw weight. Bowtech has the ability of making a special order 80 lb. bow. Im not shure if all manufactures have this avaliable.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 6'5" and shoot a Diamond Iceman set at 30" but it ends up more like 30.5" and add a loop and it is perfect for me.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, around Chicago there are very few archery shops. We only have the big box outdoor stores which are OK to buy from but to get something that requires precise measurements I'd rather go somewhere that has people that has a little more experience. I'm heading down to central Illinois next week so I may have to head somewhere down there to get everything done.

Mike, thanks, I thought I was a tall one, I can't imagine how you feel sitting in a stand! Do the Mathews bows not fit you too well? I've been told a lot of good things about them but didn't know if they will work for taller guys. Thanks for the help and let me know if there is a particular brand that you like. I'm strictly using it for hunting so I'm not looking for anything too crazy.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Being tall shouldn't make a difference as long as the Draw length is right. If you really want though look for a longer Axel to Axel Bow you might have to go back a couple of years because bows just keep getting shorter and shorter.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fastetti
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, around Chicago there are very few archery shops. We only have the big box outdoor stores which are OK to buy from but to get something that requires precise measurements I'd rather go somewhere that has people that has a little more experience. I'm heading down to central Illinois next week so I may have to head somewhere down there to get everything done.

Mike, thanks, I thought I was a tall one, I can't imagine how you feel sitting in a stand! Do the Mathews bows not fit you too well? I've been told a lot of good things about them but didn't know if they will work for taller guys. Thanks for the help and let me know if there is a particular brand that you like. I'm strictly using it for hunting so I'm not looking for anything too crazy.
The new Mathews like the Z7 is not an option, and even the newest Z9 is just not my cup of tea. They are SOOOO small, just don't feel right to me. The Z9 does go out to the 32" draw, but it's still only 30" long, which is ridiculous to me, but hey, that's just me. The Conquest Triumph would be right in my wheelhouse in terms of draw length and overall ATA, but not with a $1300 bare bow price tag. I've shot Bowtech for the last 5 years and have nothing but good things to say about my Bowtechs, but their newer bows just didn't fit me like I want a bow to. I contemplated a 101st Airborne, but the draw was just a ltitle too much for me. My left shoulder is pretty much garbage, so the bows with the big hump in the draw are pretty tough. My new Maxxis is very nice, more even draw cycle than the 101, and it's long enough in the ATA to be clsoer to what I really want. Plus, it's FAR lighter than my current Commander.

The owner of the shop I go to in Monticello is a long armed sucker like me, and shoots 32" draw, so he and I are on teh same page when looking for bows, which helps. I would recomend getting into a pro-shop if you have the option to try a bunch of different stuff. But, it's tough, since very very few shops carry much over 29" draw. We're a tough group to outfit!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.