HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   mountain lions everywhere in Iowa! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/341114-mountain-lions-everywhere-iowa.html)

Pope94/IA 02-28-2011 05:33 PM

mountain lions everywhere in Iowa!

It seems we are getting more and more mountain lions in Iowa.
One of my best friend and hunting partner called me today as I was driving home and said his uncle got home from work today around 3:30 and he walked in the door, set his stuff on his kitchen table, and looked out to window to see a mountain lion standing right in his yard! At first he thought it was his dog but then he saw the tanish/light brown body with a long tail. He ran for a camera or gun. Which ever he could find first and his gun safe was locked so he went for his camera and by the time he got back the mountain lion was gone but he went outside and took pictures of the foot prints. Hopefully tomorrow at school my friend will get me those pictures. And this cougar siting was just 3 miles from my friends house. This year during shotgun season someone shot at one just a mile from there house but missed.

There was also rumors that people were seeing one running around on the land that I HUNT! But I dont know if its true or not. I hunt more on that land than anyone else there and never seen one. If I do, ill be sure to have my bow ready.

MeanV2 03-01-2011 05:56 AM

Wow! That is Close to IL. I've seen one here a few years ago down in the Big Wabash bottoms, and there have been a few reported sightings, but.......................................

they are few and far between.

Dan

Howler 03-01-2011 08:41 AM

Not surpirsed that there are a few in Iowa, but "every where" is probably a bit over stated!

Pope94/IA 03-01-2011 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Howler (Post 3780310)
Not surpirsed that there are a few in Iowa, but "every where" is probably a bit over stated!

haha yeah I know it is an exageration. But there are getting to be more and more.

YooperMike 03-01-2011 11:32 AM

Someone needs to kill one/hit with car/trap/something. Lots of Pabst Blue Ribbon Safari folks out there that like to see things, and every flash in the woods becomes some rare beast. I've got no doubt that there are likely some around, domestics that have been released most likely. Pet kitty that grew up.

Pope94/IA 03-01-2011 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by YooperMike (Post 3780388)
Someone needs to kill one/hit with car/trap/something. Lots of Pabst Blue Ribbon Safari folks out there that like to see things, and every flash in the woods becomes some rare beast. I've got no doubt that there are likely some around, domestics that have been released most likely. Pet kitty that grew up.

Dont think that my friend and his uncle are one of those... He is a good friend of mine and also a good hunter. Same with his uncle.

Heres a picture of the one that was shot in marengo Iowa last year. Marengo is only 5 miles from where I live.

IL-Cornfed 03-01-2011 05:09 PM

While there can be no denying that Mtn. Lions have showed up in IA..... you've got to realize that about 90% or more of these "sightings" are simply BS and no more than folks with over active imaginations!!! The DNR has rarely confirmed cats upon investigations.... no tracks, no sign, no deer kills..... just goofy rednecks with lots of stories! LOL!

Pope94/IA 03-01-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed (Post 3780521)
While there can be no denying that Mtn. Lions have showed up in IA..... you've got to realize that about 90% or more of these "sightings" are simply BS and no more than folks with over active imaginations!!! The DNR has rarely confirmed cats upon investigations.... no tracks, no sign, no deer kills..... just goofy rednecks with lots of stories! LOL!

I agree, most of them are bs but there are some that are not..
You guys dont have to believe that my friend's uncle had one by his house but I am. Im just sharing what I heard.

IL-Cornfed 03-01-2011 05:35 PM

Well I hope you get a shot at the thing sometime! I know if I even suspected I had one in my area..... I'd be all over it! Realize how easy it would be to follow it's tracks in the snow of the relaitively open country of IA and IL..... or round up some hounds.... heck, the DNR would probably assist if you could confirm with tracks or trail cam pix ?!?

Good luck

TFOX 03-02-2011 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by MeanV2 (Post 3780266)
Wow! That is Close to IL. I've seen one here a few years ago down in the Big Wabash bottoms, and there have been a few reported sightings, but.......................................

they are few and far between.

Dan

My uncle saw a cougar on the Ky side of the Shawneetown bridge while deer hunting this year.He took pics of the prints but didn't get a pic of the cat.