Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Treestands  how high do you hunt >

Treestands how high do you hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestands how high do you hunt

Old 07-27-2003, 11:46 PM
Spike

Default Treestands how high do you hunt

How high do you hunt? I hung my one of my stands today. it is only about 10 or 12 feet high. I hunted this same spot last year and the bucks stayed on the edge of a thicket about 60 yards from my stand. this year I thought I would move my stand closer to the buck trails but the highest I could get my stand is 10 foot. Do you think this is high enough? Can' t wait ky season september 6.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:10 AM

Default RE: Treestands how high do you hunt

aslong as they dont see youits high enough... It all depends on the cover... in many instances 0 ft is high enough... just depends on the situation, i myself usually hunt 15-25 ft high.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:30 AM
Fork Horn

Bill, I usually hang my stands around 20 feet high. My two brothers have gone anywhere from 10 to 25 feet high. Like " Hunt2Kill" said, your cover will have a lot to do with it, not just visually, but also your scent...
Old 07-28-2003, 05:59 PM

I have 12 different stand spots on our land. Anywhere from 6' to 25' (that' s way the heck up there man!) I mostly use my climber so the trees are cut up and ready to go long before I get there. I can' t see why 10' would not be enough. I have drawn on a deer in a stand that was 20+ feet up and he caught me because I was skylined (stupid, stupid, stupid). I have also sat on the ground and drawn on a doe that never saw me there! So just think about where the deer will come out and where you can draw, and how far the shot will be, and where the wind will come from, and if you will have enough light...... It' s simple man!
Old 07-28-2003, 07:38 PM

I agree with the rest, it depends on your cover...I like to hund 18' myself....The lower you hunt, the more scent cautious you need to be.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

here' s a spin: Peterson' s hunting (i think it was that mag) had an article in it this month that I had never thought of. The higher you get, tho recommended for hiding from site and smell, the more you increase the angle of your arrow and decrease your chance of being able to double lung or get another combination of vitals on your shot. Something to think about.... []
Old 07-28-2003, 07:46 PM

The name Skyhigh was given to me by someone I hunt with. He used my stand, which was 35' up. He said he was afraid to look down, which is a problem when you' re hunting. He complained, but he took a doe out of it with his bow and two weeks later I shot a buck from the same stand with my rifle.

Since I started bow hunting, I usually consider 20' my max.

Skyhigh
Old 07-28-2003, 10:29 PM

I mostly rifle hunt, and when I do I like to get " up there" , but when I Bow hunt I usually only go 15-20 ft.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my ladder stands are 8' -12' high.Seems to work for me.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the terrian and the surroundings. I like to go no less than 15ft and no higher than 25ft if the surroundings permit it.

Quick Reply: Treestands how high do you hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.