HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Need Some Input from YOU guys. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/339901-need-some-input-you-guys.html)

HoosierHunter79 02-09-2011 02:50 PM

Need Some Input from YOU guys.

I have been bowhunting for about 5 years and am planning on next year trying something new. I would like to film my hunts. I am looking into an action camera that I can mount on my hat. Has anyone used one before? What kind??
Thanks!

bowhunterd68 02-09-2011 03:34 PM

Wow, sounds like that would be awsome! I don't know a lot about the cameras, but I'm sure someone does.Maybe they'll post. I would just make sure it isn't going to get in the way of your string when your @ full draw. Practice with the camera while you shoot in the off season. Good luck.
Dan.

HoosierHunter79 02-09-2011 03:51 PM

Thanks for the input Dan!

Wolf killer 02-10-2011 03:53 PM

I have filmed a few hunts, all with poor results. My hat goes off to the people that end up with a quality product.
Good luck and have fun,

WK

BigBuckFrenzy10 02-11-2011 06:32 PM

Check out campbell cameras, theyve got anything you could ever want related to filming hunts!

RJPOUTDOORS 02-11-2011 08:18 PM

Take a little time and check out the Vantage cameras from Wildgame Innvations. They are a Mimi HD camera the comes with all kinds of attachments. You can mount the camera on your hat, bow or tree and has a water proof container that allows you to still film out of. The nice thing is they will not break the bank. My son and I have been testing there AC 5x out for our forum Tips,Tactis, and Gear at www.bloodtrails.net. The 5x is great, it is lite weight, and fits in the palm of your hand. It shoots video and takes still photos. The only draw back is that there is no view finder or focus button. If you are not wanting to get into the $ 2,000.00 or more range then take a look at Sony Handy cam. They are priced right and you can film in HD but it will eat disc up fast. They have several setting for recording and they to do not take up a lot of room in a pack. You don't think about it till it is to late but filming hunts means more gear to pack in. Go to www.wildgameinnovations.com and check out the Vantage cameras. Wal-mart has the Handy cameras. If you are jumping in full steam ahead then take a look at Sonys AX 2000 it is a FXHD camera which B & H or Campbells both carry. If I can be of any help send me a PM. At bloodtrails.net there is a couple of guys who have there own shows and they can help you also, you can join up for free. Good Hunting.

HoosierHunter79 02-11-2011 09:30 PM

Thanks for the help guys... RJP I have been looking at Wildgame cameras the most.

MeanV2 02-14-2011 06:43 AM

IMHO you would have better luck trying to get Quality Videos using some type of tree mount :)

Dan

rogerstv 02-14-2011 09:58 AM

You're gonna have to team up with somebody to get quality. I know it is done, but trying to get a decent video of the shot with a motionless camera is not going to work. Hence, your ? about the hat. Won't that be heavy? And, how do you know it is pointing in the right direction with the quarry centered?

I've been filming enough to realize that a partner is needed. You are the designated hunter one day and they are the next type of deal. Or better yet find a nonhunter.

FullDraw02 02-14-2011 01:35 PM

I recommend a camera mount that screws into your stabilizer. Just bought one from Rakd Up Outdoors and couldnt be happier. Ive tried tree mounts and they are ok but you constaly have to turn and look at your camera for the angles you want. With the camera mount I just purchased its just like having the camera in your hands. I shoot a Mathews DXT and film with a sony handicam or canon and do not feel any difference with this product compared to a regualr stabilizer. Another nice feature that I doubted was will your quarry be centered in the film when actually shooting the bow? Well it is dead on. It is nice to hunt with a partner but for times when you can only do a solo hunt this product will do the job. So if you can spare $40.00 for the mount then I highly suggest it.