HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Why not use a gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/339240-why-not-use-gun.html)

pmills 01-28-2011 06:46 PM

Why not use a gun

New here and not a computer nut just getting started so be gentle

Killed decent buck at 45 yrds this year and was longest bow kill of my 25 yr career. I let go of 100 arrows before the season to make sure the old Darton is on and spent 100 hrs talking/phoning to landowners. I like to wait and not that fond of venison so will hold off for a nice one. My big question is have we gotten so tied up in the equipment that we have forgotten why we got into this this thing. When I started bow hunting extreme videos of archery hunters killing bumble bees would have never been thought of. I am not a traditional man with all the buckskin but when I was a kid 60 yrd shots with a shotgun was considered to be on the marksman side. Now if you can’t kill a 10 pt at that range with a stick and string you are a poser. I have always heard it’s the spot followed by the hunter. To get a good spot takes knowledge and connection with the property owner and hunter part …figure it out yourself. Just don’t get tied up in Blazer’s/Blowzers or quickspins/quickestspins and the other hype get a good spot and get close that’s the secrete

LKNCHOPPERS 01-28-2011 08:05 PM

You are right, "It Is The Spot". You can be the best hunter in the world and if your spot is no good or there is too much hunting pressure in the area, you will go without killing a good buck. "The Spot" is getting harder and harder to find these days. I work at it 365 days a year, always looking for a better spot with less hunters and more undisturbed deer. I try to keep a perspective on all the gadgets and concentrate on "The Spot". Even though I am capable of killing a deer at 40 yards, I still shoot them at 20.

MeanV2 01-29-2011 08:09 AM

Well said! I think the OP will find very few capable of actually killing animals on a consistent basis past 40 yards.

I do think longer shots are realistic today and largely due to Electronic range finders. There are times that a 20 yard shot is a No go and there are times when a 40 yard shot is a Slam Dunk. The Key to becoming a more effecient BowHunter is knowing the difference!

Be effecient at whatever range you choose to limit yourself too! If you wound a deer and do Not find it then rethink everything until you learn why it happened and adjust your tactics accordingly ;)

Dan

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS (Post 3765542)
You are right, "It Is The Spot". You can be the best hunter in the world and if your spot is no good or there is too much hunting pressure in the area, you will go without killing a good buck. "The Spot" is getting harder and harder to find these days. I work at it 365 days a year, always looking for a better spot with less hunters and more undisturbed deer. I try to keep a perspective on all the gadgets and concentrate on "The Spot". Even though I am capable of killing a deer at 40 yards, I still shoot them at 20.