Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
should i get a new bow? >

should i get a new bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

should i get a new bow?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Spike

Default should i get a new bow?

well here is my situation

i keep a little fund for bow purchases which is to the point i can easily get a new bow for next season (mathews z7)

i have a bowtech commander that i love i shoot it real well but its been cumbersome on more then one occasion from stand

i am getting back a bowtech tomcat that i had let a friend borrow

so i was thinking about using both bows for hunting season, the tomcat when im in stands that is better suited for a shorter ata bow and the commander for the rest

i have been having a hard time deciding if that would just get tiresome switching bows all season long so i was hoping for some advice from anyone who may have had a similar situation

should i stick with switching between the 2 bows i have or purchase a new shorter ata bow that i just use all the time? fyi if i do end up sticking with my two bows i will likely sell my girlfriends diamond edge and get her a passion as a birthday gift....decisions decisions

Last edited by Mikey30067; 01-23-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mikey30067
should i stick with switching between the 2 bows i have or purchase a new shorter ata bow that i just use all the time? fyi if i do end up sticking with my two bows i will likely sell my girlfriends diamond edge and get her a passion as a birthday gift....decisions decisions
Well, I guess it depends, how old are your 2 bows, and If you buy a new bow for yourself are you going to cannibalize parts or outfit it completely new? If you do sell your girlfriend's edge, how much are you going to look to get for it?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Spike

ji commander is a 08 nd tomcat a 05 i believe...if i sold the edge id have to go back look over how much i paid and look the bow over for a fair price would be mid summer if i did sell it so if your interested shoot me a pm and ill keep you updated
Old 01-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My opinion: There is no one bow

Do what's good for you. Everyone is different. Some have one hobby -archery. Over the years I did my thing. I hunted with a firearm and compound bow. I really enjoy the archery practice; it was like a hobby in itself. I enjoy rifle and pistol practice; that started me in reloading. I practiced economy by not charging sporting goods items to credit cards unless I had the money to pay the card that month.
I have two archery bows. The only one got about old enough, that I was afraid it would break the week before archery hunting season. I'll carry on with both, I expect, for a couple of more years. One main bow; the other my backup. I'm an intermediate user of bows, so I never got caught up in the latest archery gadget.

I'd say enjoy your hunting and practice hobbies. I'd say put your own price tag on what you enjoy.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

im sure there are people out there who could switch between bows and do fine with it.....but my personal opinion is if you practice with one bow and hunt with one bow and primarily shoot one bow....youre going to be better in hunting situations using that one bow. Its not like switching between rifles, at least for me.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buying a New Bow rarely has anything to do about need, but is almost always more about want

I have hunted out of a Blind and Treestand with a Sentinel with No Issues.

My advice if you want to buy a new bow is to go shoot all the makes and models you can. Shoot them as much as you can over a few weekends if necessary.

Let the Bow Choose You!!

You'll be much Happier!

Dan
Old 01-27-2011, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think switching between bows would be asking for trouble. Get something you like and have confidence in. For me it wasn't a Z7, try them all.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

just keep what ya got now, you are doing fine with the bowtech. who needs a new bow anyway