Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Pros and Cons of climber treestand vs Hang-on! >

Pros and Cons of climber treestand vs Hang-on!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pros and Cons of climber treestand vs Hang-on!

Old 01-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both have their place. I'm a big guy(6'2" 250)...and I like a fixed position stand. I still have a couple climbers that I use also.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Spike

climbers are real nice when you are hunting new properties, state land, moving in on deer, going for a all day sit, and its a lot cheaper to own one good climber then multiple hang ons

however hang on stands allow you to get in more trees, get better cover, make no noise getting in and out once the stand is up

sometimes im just to lazy to carry a climber in and out, my 2 pet peeves against climbers is nothing is worse then hearing deer bust out when your climber makes a noise as your climbing a tree and that a lot of times it is difficult to find the perfect tree in the right spot or a tree that gives good cover from a climber

both climbers and hang ons make up a large part of my hunting love having both but if i could only have on over the other i would always take a climber
Old 01-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a ladder stand kinda guy all the way!

I've sold all of my hang on stands, still have 1 nice climber left...but I almost never use it.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Spike

if you are in a tree with only a hang on you do not have the advantage of moving if you are seeing deer just a little to far out with the climber you are able to move your stand or just turn the stand to the other side of the tree.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys. Love it
Old 01-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I have a habit of falling asleep during those hot early season days. With that being said, climbers are my go to stand. Most of the time I leave them on the same trees pre-rigged to climb.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

I use only hang on stands. I don't own a climber.

If i take a look around on the properties i hunt, i can find almost 0 amount of trees that are straight enough and branch free enough to use a climber. Theres not a straight tree anywhere around here.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jack Terpack
I use both and agree that no hang on is as comfortable as a climber. I own and love my tree Lounge. I can get 60 feet in the air and sleep if I desire. The hang ons are unbeatable when you need a stand at EXACTLY the right spot. I hunt several areas in PA that have no decent trees to use a climber. At home in SC, I often put my climber on a tree and leave it there for the entire season.
I might have to disagree on that one. I have tried a climber but not hunted from one. I bought the big hang on from Menards, Big Dog 33'x35'' and it is very comfortable.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hoyt21
Aspens are just perfect for a climber.
Haven't read the entire thread, so someone may have commented on this already, but I figured I should mention something about this statement. Some trees are better suited for climbers than others, and aspen can be tricky (especially when wet). Trees with tight, smooth bark, like aspen can be quite slippery and tricky when trying to get your climber to 'bite' as you climb, sit, and descend. I've spend countless hours in a climber, and the only time I've had a real scare was in climbing an aspen. I had reached my desired height (about 20 feet), and gave the platform a little bounce to get it to bite. Well, as I went to sit down, the platform let loose and fell from the tree. Fortunately, it was tied to the upper portion of the climber and it wasn't too difficult to retrieve and reset.

I've never had that happen on an oak or ash (rougher, softer bark). Point is, be careful when climbing smooth barked trees, and practice on them prior to hunting to be sure you're comfortable with them.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use both, depends on the situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.