Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Pros and Cons of climber treestand vs Hang-on! >

Pros and Cons of climber treestand vs Hang-on!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pros and Cons of climber treestand vs Hang-on!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pros and Cons of climber treestand vs Hang-on!

I've have always used hang on tree stands or ladder stands. I thought about buying a climber for my upcoming 2011 bow season in Kansas. Are climbers a great stand for midwest type trees. Most tree are bare all the way up. Do you guys that use them just cut the limbs off with a saw and just come back to that place with your stand? Or do you just find a good placeand go I'm gonna climb it and hunt there? I 've never used a climber and not sure how technical they have gotten with the modern climbers. Do they have ways were you can go around limbs and what not while your climbing. I just think that it would easier to find a tree that a hang on can fit and just put your sticks/steps and place it up there. I dont know. So pretty much just want to know the pros and cons of a climber more or less vs a Hang on. Im getting my tax return in so I'd like some input. Thanks Daniel
Old 01-13-2011, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess if you hunt a lot of ground the climber gives you the option of utilizing more area without setting a dozen or more stands.

I only hunt 120 acres and since I know pretty much where I need to place a few stands I just set hangon's in those spot and I'm good to go. I don't have to pack a stand in and out each time I hunt and can slip in my hangon's virtually undetected.

Climbers are very popular they just seem like wasted effort for me in my situation, but I am sure in certain situations (public land, etc.) are priceless

Dan
Old 01-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can say I truly enjoy both and they both have their place in my hunting arsenal. There's a certain sense of pride when you walk away from a perfect stand location hung in preparation for the coming season. I hang 15 to 20 hang ons in prep for the season and really enjoy doing it.

That said, I also very much enjoy hunting from my climber. When starting out on new properties, going on trips, and hunting public land, a climber is key.

If I had to chose one stand, it would be a climber hands down.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input. Well I think I'm going to buy one for Elk season bc there are a few spots that a n old outfitter I knew that used to hang a few stand sand kill deer/elk every year. Aspens are just perfect for a climber. I think I'm gonna buy me a few hang-ons summits for whitetail 2011 season. I just dont see the advantages of using a climber in Kansas. I can buy 2 or 3 hangs on for the price of one climber. IDK Thanks

Last edited by Hoyt21; 01-18-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Fork Horn

If you buy a nice comfy climber you will see why a climber is the way to go. That being said, I have 2 climbers and 2 hang on stands, all APIs. If I had some strap on steps, like I had a few years ago before they got stolen, I may hunt out of my hang ons more but, the climbers I have are very comfortable so, I can set all day if I want to. I wouldn't even try it in the hang on stands. The climbing sticks are way too bulky to take very far back into the woods. The advantages of the hang ons are that they don't weigh much, which is a mute point if you use climbing sticks like I have, and once you have them hung you can get into them quietly. I'd prefer a climber anyday over the hang ons. JMHO
Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Son, it depends on whether

you're too good at doing those swan dives from the swimming platform, twenty feet in the air. You see, some folks are much better at swan dives than they are at keeping their feet on a tree stand platform.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

As stated, there is NO comparison in comfort, climber wins hands down.I only use Summit climbers. Hang on's are much more convenient IMO, as once you have them up, you just walk into your spot and climb up ( as long as someone hasn't stolen it!).Climbers are great for hunting public land, or going into a " new" spot, to check out the action before deciding on a permanant stand site, or during the rut, when you plan to sit all day.A climber is definitely a useful tool to have in your hunting gear, whether you use it all the time or just in certain situations.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have lock-ons that I put in my best spots. The climbers are used when the deer are close too rut. I hunt different spots according to sign an deer activity.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Spike

I use both and agree that no hang on is as comfortable as a climber. I own and love my tree Lounge. I can get 60 feet in the air and sleep if I desire. The hang ons are unbeatable when you need a stand at EXACTLY the right spot. I hunt several areas in PA that have no decent trees to use a climber. At home in SC, I often put my climber on a tree and leave it there for the entire season.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll set 3 or 4 hang-on in my hot spots.
Then I'll prep the other spots for a climber.

During the season if the action needs to move, 75% of the time I'll use my climber.
It's the beauty of the climbers flexibility along with costs of needing too many hang-ons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.