Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Gun/Hunting Ban On Public Land!!!! >

Gun/Hunting Ban On Public Land!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gun/Hunting Ban On Public Land!!!!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gun/Hunting Ban On Public Land!!!!

Please take the time to read and email comments to the Forest Service that you recommend they take the "NO ACTION" alternative.

Sportsmen Comments Needed to Oppose Potential Gun Hunting Ban

1/7/11

The U.S. Forest Service is now accepting comments on a proposed gun hunting ban for areas of the Huron-Manistee National Forest in Michigan.

In September, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Forest Service’s regulations required that it consider banning hunting with firearms on lands designated as “semi-primitive” within the Huron-Manistee National Forest.

The Court feels that the noise associated with gun hunting could harm the quality of the recreational experience of hikers, backpackers, and cross country skiers. Additionally, the Court ruled that the Forest Service had to consider closing these areas if other public hunting land was available for gun hunting nearby.

As a result of the court ruling, the Forest Service began a formal review to determine if it should move forward with a gun hunting ban on these areas. Currently, the Service is considering two options:
1. a “No-Action” alternative which would allow hunting to continue without change; and
2. a “Modified Closure” alternative that would implement either a complete or partial ban on hunting with guns in the semi-primitive areas.

Take Action! Sportsmen should submit comments to the Forest Service supporting the “No-Action” alternative that would continue to allow hunting with firearms on areas designated as semi-primitive. Sportsmen can mail comments to:

Lee Evison, Forest Planner, Huron-Manistee National Forests
1755 S. Mitchell Street
Cadillac, MI 49601

Sportsmen can also fax comments to Lee Evison at (231) 775-5551 or email comments to [email protected].

Please include your name and address with your comments. Emailed comments must include “Forest Plan SEIS” as the subject line of the email. All comments must be received by February 11, 2011.

Here is a comment I saw posted on one of my threads from another hunting website.

Quote:

“You can only comment on projects that are proposed. If you want to know what’s proposed, there are 3 ways to stay informed.
1. Contact the forests/districts in all of the areas you are interested in and ask to be put on a mailing list and you will be kept in the loop (thanks again Baltz for doing so!)
2. Constantly scan the small print in all of the newspapers for the required notice in the back of the paper
3. Check out the SOPA area of national forest websites, it stands for schedule of proposed actions, and I believe it is usually several months/years in advance and updated quarterly.
here is ours:http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/umpqua/projects/
if you click on the SOPA which is third down ,it takes you to all of the 'stuff' we are trying to get done and goes back several years.

FYI We ARE trying to do some harvest, and the more comments folks make in support of proposed harvest, the better argument we can make in favor of it.” hilclimber
Old 01-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Spike

you might think about putting this in a firearm fourm because some ppl on the bowhunting fourm only bowhunt and this would only impove their hunting
Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Frosty452
you might think about putting this in a firearm fourm because some ppl on the bowhunting fourm only bowhunt and this would only impove their hunting
i only bow hunt, but i'll be damned when i think of myself at expense of others,
never owned a gun, probably never will but am a NRA member to help support others to LEGALLY own guns,

also its gun ban today, tomorrow will be outright ban on all hunting
Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

There's no gun hunting on the State Land that I hunt and I LOVE it! So, I guess I can't be of much help.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only support the rights of hunters who hunt the way I do, so we can have the woods all to ourselves.......yeah thats fair
Old 01-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Spike

If you all read it thoughly its only the semi primitive ground not all public ground I don't have a problem with gun hunters but I do have a problem with gun owners that call themselves hunters I have had my share of close calls and even got a shot shower from duck hunters. Lost 4 oppurtunitys on deer because of gun hunters and it would be nice to go to a woods and know I'll be safer. Sometimes I think there should be a IQ/common sense test to get a gun
Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I only support the rights of hunters who hunt the way I do, so we can have the woods all to ourselves.......yeah thats fair
I'm a bowhunter, what can I tell ya?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Hunters should help hunters. Bowhunters against gun hunters... not very good sportsmanship. Be ashamed. Be very ashamed. What would ya'll do if they suddenly wanted to ban bowhunting? Gun hunters would want to help you out!

Sure you can be against each other when it comes down to the sport, but when theyre threatening to take something away from us then we should band together and try to help each other. If you dont help then you might as well be one of the ANTI gun idiots who want to ban gun ownership in the USA.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Frosty452
If you all read it thoughly its only the semi primitive ground not all public ground I don't have a problem with gun hunters but I do have a problem with gun owners that call themselves hunters I have had my share of close calls and even got a shot shower from duck hunters. Lost 4 oppurtunitys on deer because of gun hunters and it would be nice to go to a woods and know I'll be safer. Sometimes I think there should be a IQ/common sense test to get a gun
Aint it funny how people act like cause they bought a bow and crawled into a treestand theyre some kinda genius, but if you gun hunt your some kinda bumbleing idiot, news flash, an idiot is an idiot, whether hes holding a gun, a bow, or a golf club, and I gotta seroiusly question anyones intelligence whos bowhunting close enough to anyone, whos duck hunting, to possibly get "showered" with steel shot.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Aint it funny how people act like cause they bought a bow and crawled into a treestand theyre some kinda genius, but if you gun hunt your some kinda bumbleing idiot, news flash, an idiot is an idiot, whether hes holding a gun, a bow, or a golf club, and I gotta seroiusly question anyones intelligence whos bowhunting close enough to anyone, whos duck hunting, to possibly get "showered" with steel shot.
According to the intellectual hunters, many of out parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc..., shoould never have been allowed to hunt, because many didn't have much more that elementary education,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.