Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
rage broadheads with low poundage??? >

rage broadheads with low poundage???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rage broadheads with low poundage???

Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

I never understand broadhead debates, or even all the choices. You'll never beat the consistant dependability of a 2 blade cut on contact head such as a magnus stinger, or regular magnus or most of the zwickeys..........no they're not as cool, but they're as fail safe as possible. I went through that phase and finally ended up going to traditional archery. Looking back, it was just a "I want to keep up with the Jones" thing. Waste of time and money, but I suppose nothing wrong with that if that is what you're into. The deer are just as dead in just as short of blood trails and jump/dont jump just as many strings. Only difference is we're not shooting them at pistol cartridge distances, mostly within 25 yards.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
I have seen the Rage 40KE broadheads work well and I have seen them passthru at 46# with no problem on a broadside shot.
I wouldn't doubt that maybe you have seen such results, but if you watch any hunting shos you'd see just as many shots taken with 70# bows that produce barely enough penetration to reach the vitals. And no matter what head is used this has always baffled me.

I've shot my share of deer over the decades and the only shots that didn't produce a complete passthrough have been those where I hit the spine or offside shoulder or leg bone. But then I've never even considered mechanical heads.

Call it arrogance or whatever, but I've always spent the time and effort to get my fixed blade heads to fly true. I tune with the attitude that I will get them to fly right no matter what or how long it takes. And really, once you learn how to tune it isn't all that hard. You just have to pay attention to details and use a tuning method you can learn to understand.

Rome wasn't built in a day and learning about tuning isn't learned in a short time either, but apply yourself and it can be learned. Anything less constitutes a lack of proper ethics in my book. There is just no excuse for not trying.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
I have seen the Rage 40KE broadheads work well and I have seen them passthru at 46# with no problem on a broadside shot.
A broadside shot that slipped right between the ribs in the soft spot. That is the ONLY way they will pass through with low KE. Trust me, I have seen and heard of more deer lost to the Rage head than any other. They are fine if you are pushing a huge amount of KE, but they are junk for anything else. A local outfitter finally gave the Rage the boot from his properties when he had clients lose 11 deer in one season. Since he outlawed them, he is back to the usual 1 or 2 lost deer per year. Too many folks that just dont have a clue use them. Thanks to a very unethical marketing campaign.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been blowing through some big deer quartering away, breaking multiple ribs with the 2 blade rage and have had great results. To each their own, I'm pretty careful about my shot placement. I like the blood trail I get from the Rage, much better than when I shot Slick Trick Magnums.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Spike

I have harvested four deer with 100 grain rage broadheads. I used PSE bowmadness, 29" draw and 63 lbs. All kills were gruesome with pass throughs. I could just walk the blood trails which were short. I wouldn't reuse a Rage as most times they sustain structural damage on heavy bone. But entry wounds and exit wounds are gaping!!

I also use G5 montecs with great success. Better penetration even on elk, but the entry wounds aren't as impressive as the rage. Have I mentioned the value of placement?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Spike

I would stick with a fixed blade head like the muzzy's or slick tricks.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

NOT on the Rage. I would use a 100gr Steelforce Phat head
Old 06-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
I wouldn't doubt that maybe you have seen such results, but if you watch any hunting shos you'd see just as many shots taken with 70# bows that produce barely enough penetration to reach the vitals. And no matter what head is used this has always baffled me.

I've shot my share of deer over the decades and the only shots that didn't produce a complete passthrough have been those where I hit the spine or offside shoulder or leg bone. But then I've never even considered mechanical heads.

Call it arrogance or whatever, but I've always spent the time and effort to get my fixed blade heads to fly true. I tune with the attitude that I will get them to fly right no matter what or how long it takes. And really, once you learn how to tune it isn't all that hard. You just have to pay attention to details and use a tuning method you can learn to understand.

Rome wasn't built in a day and learning about tuning isn't learned in a short time either, but apply yourself and it can be learned. Anything less constitutes a lack of proper ethics in my book. There is just no excuse for not trying.
Well said! good points
Old 06-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

The 15 year old kid I hunt with has a 45 pound bow and used 125 gr Rage's and kills more deer than anyone I know.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think some is all dependent on shot placement and or if it hits a bone...I used rage with good results. Ive also had bad results on different mechanical broadheads. It all comes down to the lower draw weight losing/transferring energy opening the blades. I want all the energy going to the cutting blades. Not being transferred or lost--even if its minimal. Every hunter wants the ideal shot but sometimes even the best hunter will have a bad shot.

In Idaho where I am its illegal to use expandable broad heads. I used muzzy last year and the doe died approximately 23yds from where I shot her...

You will get many different opinions from many different people. Do whats best for you and your states particular game laws.