Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
rage broadheads with low poundage??? >

rage broadheads with low poundage???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rage broadheads with low poundage???

Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default rage broadheads with low poundage???

My brother has a hurt shoulder so he can only shoot 50lbs comfortably.He has been wanting to try the rage broadheads,I use them but I shoot 60lbs.He uses muzzy 3's.I was wondering if you or anyone you know has killing a deer using a rage broadhead with a low poundage bow?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Shouldn't be an issue, Rage makes the 40ke version specifically for his situation.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

i used 2 blade rages out of my youth bow that was 40 lb, got one lung cause it was a qaurtering shot but only went 20 yards! im now in a adult bow pullin 70# with thunderheads
Old 01-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't use any wide cutting mechanical out of a bow with that low of draw weight.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 AM
Fork Horn

g5 Striker. Nuff Said
Old 01-05-2011, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot roughly 50# these days and just for that reason I will not, in good conscience, shoot any mechanical head, 40ke or not. Probably the Muzzy is as good a head as any so why not stay with them. Honestly, if he can tune his equipment and shoot to where he is aiming a good set of sharp blades get the job done, no matter what head those blades are on. Getting good arrow flight is the trick to keep all the momentum behind the head, driving those blades as deeply as possible.

To that end there is nothing magical about any broadhead. They all kill by the same means----internal hemorhage.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

The Rage would be a horrible choice for any low poundage setup. I have seen terrible results from the Rage with bows that are much higher weight. The 40 lb Rage head is nothing more than a gimmick in my opinion. There are a lot of great heads out there that will shoot great without having to use a mechanical. There is a reason that some outfitters wont even allow the Rage on their properties and some states made mechanicals illegal.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Neither would I!!

Use a cut on contact head such as Magnus, Slick Trick Razor Tricks, etc.

Things rarely are ideal in a hunting situation.

Dan

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I wouldn't use any wide cutting mechanical out of a bow with that low of draw weight.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by onion721
Shouldn't be an issue, Rage makes the 40ke version specifically for his situation.
That 40 KE version is nothing more than an unethical GIMMICK.

If he can "only" pull 50, I would stay away from all mechanicals.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen the Rage 40KE broadheads work well and I have seen them passthru at 46# with no problem on a broadside shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.