Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
getting back into bow, helpful tips or websites? >

getting back into bow, helpful tips or websites?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

getting back into bow, helpful tips or websites?

Old 01-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default getting back into bow, helpful tips or websites?

the last time i bowhunted was probably 2000-02....but i tend to cycle thru hobbies and ive got the bug to bowhunt and start shooting again. Can anybody point me to some good books or websites to kind of help me get back in the groove? I have not kept up with bows or bowhunting at all, so its like ive been in an information coma. Im looking at buying the new bowhunters digest and maybe some other books. Id like to add on some of the new gadgets like a dropaway rest, better sights (i dont think we had dropaways when i quit lol) and id love some other tips to look into. I still have my parker bow, i think ill hold off on anything new and just get back into the groove where i left off....so any tips?
Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

archerytalk.com is a good place to go for info and help.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scotty, There are some knowledgable guys here and on a few other forums around the net.

Feel free to ask any question and i'm sure someone will jump in and try to help. You can email me for help anytime as well at: [email protected]

Welcome back and Enjoy!!

Dan
Old 01-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stapher1
archerytalk.com is a good place to go for info and help.
+1. Just watch out for the haters over there (of anything). Plus lots of good info here also, with probably a nicer atmosphere. More like a hunting lodge instead of the line at Bass Pro/Cabelas on Black friday.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

ok thanks guys, i did join archery talk as well as bowhuntin.com. So far tho this is still my favorite hunting site by far, good people and not much attitude
Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New bow-picking a tough assignment

Ten years can be a lifetime in archery buying.

First, I'd set a beginning price on what I want to pay. Of course, you should remember that there are prices for bare bows and the additional prices for accessories.

I'd go to the 'Hunter's friend' web site. Their site is excellent. It covers many bows, not all of course, but you can see the range of prices for bare bone bows and ready to shoot bows. That should help you fix a narrower range for your price range.

I'd go to the local archery stores. Not every shop has bows available to shoot. I used the time to hold the various bows, to see how they balanced in my hand. Bought the last two bows doing this method.

I'd check in detail the sites of the bows I might be interested. Most bow companies have their own internet site.
Today we have hunting sites you can ask questions about a particular bow, and get comments.
You can go to 'You tube' site and type in the particular bow, and perhaps find a few clips on that very bow, using non-professional archers.

Good luck. I've been there and done that.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome back. Ditto what the guy said about the huge changes in the sport in the last 10 years. I recently upgraded my 15-year old equipment, and what a difference!

I've tried out several of the bow hunting magazines, and while they're entertaining, I didn't get much out of them. They're half-advertising at any rate. The websites mentioned above (and this one!) are a great start. Also, any of the books from the Eberharts (father and son that wrote some excellent books on bow tactics) are a must IMO. Some great lessons in there to shorten the learning curve and avoid some bad habits.

http://www.deer-john.net/